1.5v DC probelms!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berellul

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a tankless water head which works with LPG and it uses a D cell battery which is 1.5V. My issue is that since it's constantly being turned off and on the battery doesn't last very long and i want to give supply from an AC source instead.

My issue is that i cannot find a 1.5V power supply. I do have a 3v Power supply and to be honest i tried it and it works but i didn't use it since it has 1.5V more then it should.

My question is if i use the 3v power supply will i end up doing damage? If so what can i do? The only thing i can find on the web is low quality "convertions" which i am sure will last 1 day and burn...😅

Thanks

3V may or may not destroy it, depends on what it has been designed to accept, but unless its documented anywhere, then you best stick with the 1.5v. Trying it already is probably best described as a courageous decision....

You might just get away with one one of the LM2596 converter modules you can get from amazon/ebay/aliexpress, they need 1.5v "headroom" on the supply above the voltage you want out, but as your supply will probably be floating above 3v rather than under it as most supplies with basic regualtion do.

How much current does the unit draw? if much more than an amp then you might have to put a heatsink on the IC

Thanks for your reply and information.

I have no idea how much current it uses but what i know is that the worst moment is when it starts since it will give the spark to ignite the gas but then it's only sensors which are drawing power which i'm sure they barley draw any current.

I will try what you suggested.

Thanks!

Are you using good quality alkaline cells? There is a huge difference between those and cheap zinc carbon ones. It seems odd that a commercial device is supplied using batteries at an uneconomic rate.

Why not buy a bigger capacity 1.5v cell? Its known as a flag cell click here
If i want more duration i just add more batteries. It's easier for me since this kind of battery i cannot find it locally. As i said i wanted something that doesn't require me changing the battery. I cannot belive that in 2021 it's so hard to find a 1.5V power supply :ROFLMAO:

Are you using good quality alkaline cells? There is a huge difference between those and cheap zinc carbon ones. It seems odd that a commercial device is supplied using batteries at an uneconomic rate.
It's not ment to be turned on and off that often. There is another model which is 14 liters and it takes power supply from mains but i don't have that :(

WE-HYTRE 1.5V 3V 4.5V 6V LR20 D Cell Battery Eliminator UK Plug USB Power Supply Adapter Replace 1 To 4pcs LR20 D Size Battery Power Supply Cord, from Amazon £15.77 plus postage, product code ASIN B09KXYMS11