13A sockets for EVs

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone got much experience of replacing 13A sockets that burn out when charging EV’s? I’ve replaced a couple but had a call earlier so it made me wonder about all these extra EV’s on the market is this problem only get worse?

i.e. are there any robust 13A sockets on the market?

😊

The average person? Absolutely not

An electrician who works to the regs? Yes

So sparky tells Mrs average he can’t replace her wickes 13A socket but can install a proper one for well over a hundred pounds …..

I’ve always thought the regs surrounding EVs are badly thought out and not publicised to the masses ….

Wonder how long it’s going to be before the first EV point causes a fire and it’s made worse by the number of Internet retailers selling ev points to Joe public 😁

So sparky tells Mrs average he can’t replace her wickes 13A socket but can install a proper one for well over a hundred pounds …..

I’ve always thought the regs surrounding EVs are badly thought out and not publicised to the masses ….

Wonder how long it’s going to be before the first EV point causes a fire and it’s made worse by the number of Internet retailers selling ev points to Joe public 😁
Absolutley…. I’ve refused to fit regular sockets , several times, when I’ve known that they were wanting to charge an EV with them….

What difference would publicised 722 to the masses make, when not a single part of the rest of the regs are publicised?

Tbh I don't think publicised regs would make much difference. There's always a DIY expert who will know best.
You know the type "After all rules are made to be broken".

FWIW I think the onus needs to be placed on the manufacturers and sellers of EV chargers, vehicles etc.

I don't see why we get stuck in the firing line again

What about those blue 16A plugs/sockets ( can't remember their proper name)?.

I use them in my workshop for a welder and a compressor, where a 13A plug/socket is a little too 'lightweight'. They really need a dedicated circuit though. Not sure if they'd be robust enough for many hours of EV charging though.

The problem with BS1363 sockets overheating is a known issue.
It has been recognised by the relevant product standard committee.
The issue is that BS1363 sockets have never been designed to carry the load that a typical EV will draw for the duration of the typical full charge. The product standard never required this.
The standard had been updated to reflect this.
BS1363 sockets suitable for use in charging EVs will be marked EV on the rear.
Using any other BS1363 socket, as in not marked EV would be out of the scope of the product standard, and would be a departure under BS7671 and needs to be recorded as such.

But they’re still going to need O-pen protection
I would not be relying upon something, i.e. a product, which has no recognised published product standard.
Ergo the use of o-pen protection, while an option under BS7671, unless the device has a DoC and is made to a recognised standard then again this would have to be documented as a departure under BS7671.
This is the reason for the careful wording in Amd 2 around the selection and necessary documentation around EV charge points and o-pen devices.
I have yet to see a correct DoC for an o-pen device, that is available on the market, which is a criminal offence by the manufacturers.

I would not be relying upon something, i.e. a product, which has no recognised published product standard.
Ergo the use of o-pen protection, while an option under BS7671, unless the device has a DoC and is made to a recognised standard then again this would have to be documented as a departure under BS7671.
This is the reason for the careful wording in Amd 2 around the selection and necessary documentation around EV charge points and o-pen devices.
I have yet to see a correct DoC for an o-pen device, that is available on the market, which is a criminal offence by the manufacturers.

And given how many outlets are selling EV points direct to Joe Public, who have probably never heard of BS7671 when will this crass stupidity end?

There's absolutely no point in those in their ivory tower believing that all sparks follow BS 7671, so please don't tell me that they think Joe Public does?

This isn't targeted at you @Sidewinder BUT its written for others to view and fingers crossed consider.

Out of touch and distant

And given how many outlets are selling EV points direct to Joe Public, who have probably never heard of BS7671 when will this crass stupidity end?

There's absolutely no point in those in their ivory tower believing that all sparks follow BS 7671, so please don't tell me that they think Joe Public does?

This isn't targeted at you @Sidewinder BUT its written for others to view and fingers crossed consider.

Out of touch and distant
Well, building regulations require compliance with BS7671.
Building regulations are law.
Thus compliance with 7671 is required by all.
Insurance companies are picking up on this.
More insurance policies require evidence of compliance with 7671 as time goes on.
JPEL/64 cannot condone breaking the law, so 7671 must consider that "people" will follow the law.