smoke alarms on a wall

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lannielectrical

Reaction score
I need some opinions on a smoke alarm that I installed.

The customer had a loft conversion and I had to install mains linked smoked alarms which was no problem

I installed the top alarm on the wall as it was the most accessible point

Now the building inspector has said that it needs to be moved to the ceiling But doing this will make it very difficult to maintain etc and dangerous as the steps will need to be set up over the stair case

I would appreciate your views on this

If ceiling mounting is impracticable, in rooms and hallways not exceeding 10 m in both length and breadth, and not exceeding 50 m2 in area, detectors may, alternatively, be mounted on a wall provided that: i) the top of the detection element is between 150 mm and 300 mm below the ceiling; and

ii) the bottom of the detection element is above the level of any door opening; and

iii) the manufacturer's instructions state that the detector is suitable for wall mounting.

l) Detectors should not be mounted adjacent to, or directly above, heaters or air-conditioning vents.

m) Detectors should be mounted in positions that are reasonably accessible for maintenance.

NOTE This is particularly important in the case of smoke alarms that incorporate a battery or that have a routine testing or alarm silence facility. Such detectors should not, for example, be mounted above a stairwell.
This is a quote from BS5839-6

So if your alarms comply with this then they're ok

Best to read the instructions that come with the alarm. I am doing a barn conversion at present if i had put them on the walls they would never have worked ever. as the flat part of the ceiling is only about 600mm wide they have been put on the slope roughly a foot down which is what it said in the instructions. To get over problem of no access i have installed the silence/ test switch that way if they go off when the toast is being done they can silence them with a switch.

I'm guessing its in one of those really high ceilinged stair wells , and you're right , anything up the top there will be ignored, it happens with light fitts all the time, as soon as the lamp/tube blows it never gets done , too awkward. Back up battery will never get replaced.

If smoky has to be horizontal could you fit it to an L bracket lower down?

The instructions on Aico smoke alarms state they should not be placed above stairwells. They are allowed to be placed on a vertical wall provided they are outside certain distances from corners and ceilings. There are also some instructions as regards to placing them on sloping ceilings but I can't remeber what they are.

I'm sure i can remember reading somewhere that BS7671 states manufacturers instructions should be complied with when installing accessories.

Thanks for the info all were installed to regs and manufactures instructions, building inspector is being awkward