16/17 Reg Bathrooms

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grumpy old spark

Reaction score
Here is another one !

The lighting/fan in the bathrooms on a refurbed block of flats(apartments to some people) has just been rewired, the job was specked to the 16th however the sup/earth bonding in the "finished" bathroom will look unsightly as the builder has now decided not to put in "upstands" around the base of the walls which would have hidden the 4mm earths.

the bathroom lighting/fan cct could easily be be moved onto the RCDside of the board,meaning that you would no longer need the bonding cables !

What problems can you see in doing this ,if any.

cheers

GRUMPY;)

Hi Steptoe

Reason im asking this is because Ive been asked to help out a young elec sub-contractor who is getting a hard time from the main elect contractors supervisor ,and whatever is suggested by the subby is always wrong!

thanks for your response

cheers

Grumpy :p

I agree with steptoe, can't see a problem with it. Thought that was one of the ideas of putting the bathroom on a rcd that you didn't need supplementary bonding. But I can always be proved :)

My feeling is if you move the bathroom over to RCD and remove the 4mm bonding you are doing something that is in the 17th ( RCD protection instead of the 4mm )

that means that if there is a shower it must stay on if the lights trip the RCD and it wont be possable as there is only 1 RCD on a split load.

Just read the post :_| If it is onlt the fan/lighting cct then there is not a problemBlushing

hi people

there are two boards (original fit,1 outside the bathroom) both with rcd on them so no problem with that. I cannot see any contravention of codes of practice NIC/ ECA BS 7671 and the like,and I am hoping others cant.

The supervisor seems a right little bundle of joy ! a right jobs worth who is also their Q/M for the NIC,he had the young subby running around everywhere until I got involved . I will have to be sure of my facts every time I challenge him.Thats why I want and aprieciate your views.

cheers

Grumpy ; \

As suggested, If you RCD/RCBO it and disconnection times are met, then there will be no problem with removing the unsightly Supplimentry Bonding. :)

If there is an electric shower, that will have to be moved to an RCD/RCBO too if conditions are not met too. I believe.

As suggested, If you RCD/RCBO it and disconnection times are met, then there will be no problem with removing the unsightly Supplimentry Bonding. :) If there is an electric shower, that will have to be moved to an RCD/RCBO too if conditions are not met too. I believe.
should already be on RCD protection anyway.

would the light and shower be on same RCD?

if so then I would suggest putting light/fan on seperate RCBO for discrepancy purposes,(nusiance tripping, no idea what the reg number is, but there is one).

that aside, I have just asked my mate and he sees no probs either, actually an improvement cos it now meets 17th and not 16th as designed, which is actually poor planning cos it should have been taken into consideration that 17th was coming into play and a block of flats shouldnt take 2years 8months to build.!

hi

the board that could be used has 1x 20a radial feeding 2xsockets in bedroom which are on the rcd, and 1x lighting cct feeding 1x light in bedroom and 1x light and 1x fan in the bathroom it is a sub board fed off the main board from a 32a mcb the feed to the sub board is 6mmt&e ,there is also a 4mm from the sub board onto the pipework in the bathroom which was intended to sup bond at some point.The sub board is original as the builder has just knocked walls down to make the apartments bigger and the main elec contractor was told to leave them.

cheers

grumpy

hi again !

I have just been and had a look for myself on site !

basically this "sub board" fed by the 6mm is a glorified cooker circuit for want of a better description ,with sockets and lights on the end and not cooker circuit!(by the way the shower is fed from gas/wet system and not an issue). having now seen it for myself there is no problem , the 32a breaker at the main board could easily be changed onto the rcd side of the main board and the radial and fan /lighting board both put back onto the switch side of the sub board leaving the rcd situated at the main board which has been re fed using 16mm t&e with a 16mm separate main earth from the intake.I just need re assurance that they will not insist on sup bonding due to some little obscure note in the regs that I have missed!!,even though my mind is clearly made up .

cheers

grumpy Applaud Smiley

Then, (No Pun Intended), Grumpy.... "You are laughing, Mate".

hi admin

I am certainly laughing BUT ! not for too long as I am sure that someone

will want to spoil my glee ,and it will probably be the "jobsworth" on the site as I attempt to place the bonding clips up his rectum one by one whilst saying "hows that for an earth rod!" (I am sure that this guy could be related to the toad who ripped me off on e-bay)

cheers

Grumpy ]:)

hi adminI am certainly laughing BUT ! not for too long as I am sure that someone

will want to spoil my glee ,and it will probably be the "jobsworth" on the site as I attempt to place the bonding clips up his rectum one by one whilst saying "hows that for an earth rod!" (I am sure that this guy could be related to the toad who ripped me off on e-bay)

cheers

Grumpy ]:)
does he have a brother by the name of d1ckhead dave that works in manchester?

sounds like family to me!

does he have a brother by the name of d1ckhead dave that works in manchester?sounds like family to me!
Hey Stepyoe the sites in Ramsbottom ! the guys name begins with T,close tho aint it ! Now its definately my last visit of the night I need a drink to correect my spelling Guiness Drink

cheers

grumpsy hic !!

Hey Stepyoe the sites in Ramsbottom ! the guys name begins with T,close tho aint it ! Now its definately my last visit of the night I need a drink to correect my spelling Guiness Drinkcheers

grumpsy hic !!
I`ve never heard of ANYONE with the name "Tickhead" before!!!!!!##

Could you imagine going through school with that name?????

I`ve never heard of ANYONE with the name "Tickhead" before!!!!!!##Could you imagine going through school with that name?????
Im sure a few people probably did, intentionally or not.!

we have a foreman/skin on a site at the mo who really is the balance point whether I jack my **** job in at the mo or not,

never ever in my life have I worked with such an ignorant ******* in my hole life.

Im sure a few people probably did, intentionally or not.!we have a foreman/skin on a site at the mo who really is the balance point whether I jack my **** job in at the mo or not,

never ever in my life have I worked with such an ignorant ******* in my hole life.
:_|

il non carborundum illegitimi ;)