17th. edition 100mA rcd

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seajayess

Reaction score
Can you use 100mA time delayed rcd for supplementry protection with the 17th. Edition thanks Cliff

I dont think you can even on the 16th...

deffo not on the 15th.

why would you want to?

are you gonna bury all you cables in galv conduit?

cos you will have to in most places to avoid using 30mA protective device.

Can you use 100mA time delayed rcd for supplementry protection with the 17th. Edition thanks Cliff
Evening Seajayess welcome m8:)

If you got a copy of the big red book..

check out reg 415.1.1. pg 59..

basically says....

"Additional protection by RCD...

not exceeding 30ma...

and a time not exceding of 40ms at 5x rated current."

so its a No! :(

Thanks for the response I know about the beried in the wall by 50mm but where do you stand with running through floor joists. if the floor joist are say 120mm do you have to supply rcd protection for example a sub feed where the 2 boards are situated at ceiling hight thanks Cliff

i would say yes,

cos at some point the cable is going to be at <50mm

ie, where the bend is going into the CU.

tho TBH that is being pedantic, and if it is purely for that reason then you wouldnt even need 100mA, tho it is a good precaution.

why not just an S type 30 tho.?

sometimes the regs are read too literally,

and,

IMHO.

I dont really pay any attention to them, F them all i say.

if you can prove your circuit is safe and meet reg 16 then dont worry too m uch about 17th or any of 7671.

sorry to ask,

but are you a spark.?

Can you use 100mA time delayed rcd for supplementry protection with the 17th. Edition
Just had to buy lots of these for work! 4 lots of 63A 3P 100mA Type S and 4 lots of 32A 3P 100mA Types S, expensive! :(

We are now required to add these to the source of our exhibition supplies under 17th Ed. Still need a whole bunch of 32A 1P versions for the roof drops too! Money, money money! :_|

i would say yes,cos at some point the cable is going to be at <50mm

ie, where the bend is going into the CU.

tho TBH that is being pedantic, and if it is purely for that reason then you wouldnt even need 100mA, tho it is a good precaution.

why not just an S type 30 tho.?

sometimes the regs are read too literally,

and,

IMHO.

I dont really pay any attention to them, F them all i say.

if you can prove your circuit is safe and meet reg 16 then dont worry too m uch about 17th or any of 7671.

sorry to ask,

but are you a spark.?
Yes

No - Not wating for you lot, been nursing your hang over's in bed from AD2's party. :(

sorry for the Q cliff.

seems it really depends on the situation you want to use it on.

I just jumped the gun and assumed a normal domestic property.