17th Edition Schedule of Inspections

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ITS

Reaction score
What should I be ticking or not applicabling in the new boxes of the schedule of inspections? What do they mean to an average sparky?

Namely:

Double Insulation.

Reinforced Insulation.

FELV.

Electrical Separation provided for ONE ITEM and MORE THAN ONE ITEM.

Presence of Supplimentary Bonding conductors under 'Additional Protection'. - Whats the difference between this one and the Presence of Supplimentary Bonding Conductors under 'Automatic Disconnection of Supply'?

The boxes need to be:

ticked if they are "present & correct",

Crossed if they are missing, or incorrect,

N/A if they are items which do not apply to the particular job, or

LIM if this was not verified, as part of your work.

n.b. for a completion cert, there should NEVER be a cross in any box.

On a PIR, any one could be in any box, as appropriate to the circumstances.

If you`re going to be doing these; I would suggest the 2391 I&T course. They would explain all aspects of this.

There is also a breakdown in the "guide to inspection, testing & certification" publication.

HTH

Many thanks. I'll be doing the 2391 course next year although my college says that they don't actually teach anything on it - only test my (in)competance. Could you at least tell me the difference in the supplementary conductor boxes? I believe this is no longer necessary in bathrooms providing that main bonding of services is in place and the pipework can be proved continuous.

So, my point is this. Now that supplementary bonding seems less of an issue, why are there now two types of it? or am I just talking rubbish..?..

I know this is a 'nice' place, but you really should know all of this before commencing the works. You obviously dont have your C&G 2382 , I only sat the 2382 exam last month, but i swatted up on the regs and asked these questions the first week in Jan, when i got the new regs book.

Do you mean the box 'Presence of supplementary equipotential bonding conductors'. If they are present, ( ie a bathroom wired to the 16th edition) then tick the box. There are still reasons withinn the 17th edition that this may be needed. What other box do you mean ?

Sadly, as is the case of most forums - a stale smell of 'self-importance' fills the air.

I start the 17th edition update next month - so, like you, i'm trying to get ahead of the game before I start and thought I'd ask people who know.

'Presence of Supplimentary Bonding conductors' under 'Additional Protection'. - What's the difference between this box and the 'Presence of Supplimentary Bonding Conductors' box under 'Automatic Disconnection of Supply'?

Sadly, as is the case of most forums - a stale smell of 'self-importance' fills the air.Sorry you get that impression. :(

I start the 17th edition update next month - so, like you, i'm trying to get ahead of the game before I start and thought I'd ask people who know.

Nothing wrong with that, m8Applaud Smiley

'Presence of Supplimentary Bonding conductors' under 'Additional Protection'. - What's the difference between this box and the 'Presence of Supplimentary Bonding Conductors' box under 'Automatic Disconnection of Supply'?
OK.....

I wasn`t aware of TWO instances of the supp. protection; so I`ve just checked.......

1. I`m using "easycert"; and they do not have Supp. protection under "ADS".

2. Refering to the "Inspection, Testing & certification" book (17th ed.) ; schedule of inspections on page 135...........

THEY don`t have a supp. bonds box under ADS either!!!!!!

What certificates are you looking at?

Hmmm. I can see now why there is confusion.

I'm looking at THE Schedule of Inspections in the IEE Wiring Regulations 17th Edition page 340.

They are available for download from the IET website (theiet.org)

They are on there, honest.

Sadly, as is the case of most forums - a stale smell of 'self-importance' fills the air.I start the 17th edition update next month - so, like you, i'm trying to get ahead of the game before I start and thought I'd ask people who know.

Well hello ITS.....

don't think I said hello..

so Welcome to the forum;)Guiness Drink

??? bit confused as to why a person makes such a conclusion after only 3 posts.. And only allowing 2 days between posts??

If you would give us a chance to answer a bit & where needed try to discuss exactly what you are after... then maybe we can help...

If you are expecting immediate fully answered posts with 24hr 7day response..

You probably need to go somewhere where people are paid to man help lines 24/7...

unortunatley... none of us here are... we also have our other personal & work commitments to deal with...

and as & when time permit's we come a chat a few thing over in a polite & friendly manner....

but then as it is a free country, we are all entitled to jump to wrong conclusions if we wish! ?:|

I apologise if you feel you have been short changed.. hard done to.. name called.. or considered unworthy of an sensible answer! :| :(

so back to your point....

I suspect you are referring to the model certificate illustrated on page 340 of BS7671 17th edition...

(although you didn't actually offer this advice on your post.)

However as KME & Slipshod noted...

for example These DO NOT appear on the NICEIC DI EIC ??

Do you mean the box 'Presence of supplementary equipotential bonding conductors'. If they are present, ( ie a bathroom wired to the 16th edition) then tick the box. There are still reasons within the 17th edition that this may be needed. What other box do you mean ?
This is what he was asking on his post IMHO..

he quoted the box on the second column page 2 bottom half of NICEIC DEIC!

and asked which boxes you were referring to...

(for some reason you chose not to answer, which makes it a bit harder to people to answer your questions?)

It always help on any forum to offer as much info as possible to assist those who are genuinely trying to offer a helpful response..

IMO

the bits under Additional protection are referring to bathrooms / shower rooms etc.. as it implies either/or RCDs/supp bond?

or Agricultural...

The ADS part would be relating to areas requiring sup bond that are NOT bathrooms or shower rooms?

say possibly Conducting locations with restricted movement..

for compliance with reg 706.410.3.10 (iii) a) ?

or say installations incorporating static convertors,

compliance with Reg 551.4.3.3.1 ?

or

where ADS cannot be met.. compliance with 411.3.2.6 ?

or maybe I got these ar5e-about-face... :) ?:|

open to further deabte...

and spray a bit more "LYNX 4 MEN" to remove that stale smell of me self impotence!!!! :^O :^O:^O:^O:^O

Hmmm. I can see now why there is confusion.I'm looking at THE Schedule of Inspections in the IEE Wiring Regulations 17th Edition page 340.

They are available for download from the IET website (theiet.org)

They are on there, honest.
oh they are indeed!!

you snuck this post in while I was trying to reply..

only got slow fingers you know...

short front paws:_|

Applaud Smiley

you tell him specs

we're nice really :D

Although I can see how some of the newbies may becaome a little 'confused' at the tangents the posts can go off on

:D

I stupidly looked at a 16th edition IEE schedule of inspections yesterday. A large number of questions on these differences were in the 2382. Have a look at Welsh Wizzards test papers on this site. Very very useful ( more than the 1 day course)

The ADS box is to be ticked if (as an example) wired to the 16th if the bonding is there. If wired to the 17th and no bonding present then a N/A would be inserted. The same box in the Additional protection would be ticked if (as an example) bathroom bonding was carried out but Rcd protection and all main earthing was also present. On a correctly wired 17th edition job with no supplementary bonding i would put N/A in this box.

Regarding your 'stale smell of self importance' comment, if you are working as an electrician then you have had 9 months to 'get ahead'. If not then i apologise you took the comment wrong way.

Well that's told me hasn't it. Thanks for your help. Very useful. I'll be a bit more patient in the future.

Not quite sure if thats a typo ; \
Twas indeed a delwiberate misspelt!!!..

I was reminded of a joke from many years ago....

something about a couple having trouble starting a family...

they each when to the doctors to have there fertility checked out..

when the man got back home..

he was wearing a brand new suit, tie, shirt.

new polished shiny shoes,

carrying a brand new brief case & umbrella..

and with a copy of the Financial times under his arm...

his wife asked why he was all dressed up & what the doctor had said..

He said...

Well the doctor said I was Impotent!

and if the doctors thinks I'm impotent..

then I am gonna dress so as I look impotent! :D :^O:^O:^O:^O

{sidenote:

In no way wishing to be racist but

I believe the Joke was a Jamaican or similar person so as the accent worked better!?Blushing:)}

I'll get me coat........ :_|

and turn the light out when I go! :eek: :| :(

Well that's told me hasn't it. Thanks for your help. Very useful. I'll be a bit more patient in the future.
No prob's "ITS":D;)

deep down we are ALL working towards the same goal...

pass info, share what you know.. and learn off what other know! :)

You just need to chill out a bit more with a couple of theseGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink

take a quick power nap:z:z

then have a browse through Steptoes yard..

see if you can find any thing interest??

or of any value??

If you can...

Tell us..

cuz weve all been searching for months??

NOTHING!!!

then when you come back to see if anyones posted a reply....

after Steptoes yard...

everything will all make perfect sense!! :eek: :O:pBlushing] :) :^O :^O:^O:^O

hmmmmmthjust seems the only reason Im here sometimes is to make the rest of you people look intelligent. :(
Well somebody's got to do it..

And Theorys hiding in the back of his cave!

Welshy's sulking in his shed with his poorly ECU!

Apache's... well Apache's a VET!! :_|

So you got promotion this week Mr Step'sApplaud SmileyApplaud Smiley

just have another drink..

and stop whining!!Guiness DrinkGuiness DrinkBlushing

:x :x:x