17th edition tester, which one to buy?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gump

Reaction score
Hello, im working out which 17th edition tester i should get. Not sure between MEGGER , KEWTECH or FLUKE, but want to make sure it has automati RCD function, They all seem a muchness in terms of price but could anyone recommend one from the three in terms of ease of use?

I am afraid most of the choice comes down to what you are use to or what you or others prefer, most of them are very good. I have used Robin and Fluke for years with the odd Martindale thrown in along the way, I am now looking long and hard at the new Megger, top of the range with loads of good features I am beginning to appreciate.

PM 'Megger Mark' on here and see what he has a good deal on. That's what I would do, get whatever decent brand you can get for sensible money.

Maybe another consideration , why buy just the 1 tester ? If it breaks you have lost all functions whilst it is being repaired , IMHO i think individual testers is a better way to go , ok more costly at calcing time but offers better flexability in my view.

And welcome to the forum good to have you on board :Welcome: Guinness

Maybe another consideration , why buy just the 1 tester ? If it breaks you have lost all functions whilst it is being repaired , IMHO i think individual testers is a better way to go , ok more costly at calcing time but offers better flexability in my view.
I know what you are saying but what use is a partial set of readings whilst your IR tester is off being repaired? You can either do all the test you have to or not test IMHO.

hadnt really thought about possible consequences of repairs! The megger was the one that i was vering to along with the fluke, Flukes cos ive used them a lot but the megger seems to have everything needed. Thanks all for responses, first time on this forum

I know what you are saying but what use is a partial set of readings whilst your IR tester is off being repaired? You can either do all the test you have to or not test IMHO.
Say 5 months after spending a large amount on an all singing all dancing all in 1 tester , fate lends a hand and it is damaged beyond repair , a huge outlay again.

But I do strongly agree with Apache pm Megger Mark you would be a fool not to O)

gump,

Sorry for the sort of hijack but it is relevant.

Manator, what do you see as the advantages of the Megger MFT1730 over the Fluke 1654B?

BTW

I am a Fluke fan as that is what I was brought up on, have loads of them in various guises, among other bits of kit.

As far as mft's go I have a 1653 & a 1653b.

As far as the single vs separates, that is a personal thing, I went for an all in one as it is only one device to carry around, and I have enough stuff to shift now!

I was brought up on the old Robin separates which were pretty much idiot proof (set the scale & hit the orange button) and like the "Kewtech" meters which are basicly the same (made by the same Japanese company & re-branded). I've tried the Kewtech, Fluke & Megger multi-function testers and have to say I found the Fluke over complicated (although I know plenty of people who swear by them), the Megger MFTs look quite complicated but I found them intuative to use and probably a better instrument than the Kewtech. If I was in the market for new test-kit I think ther Megger would be the one for me.

I've got a Megger but my brother in law has a Fluke.

I like the functions of my Megger as it's simple to use and very clear whereas I think the Fluke is overcomplicated imo.

The only downside to the megger is that it performs the tests a lot slower than the fluke.

I've got a Megger........I like the functions of my Megger as it's simple to use and very clear whereas I think the Fluke is overcomplicated imo.

The only downside to the megger is that it performs the tests a lot slower than the fluke.
Got to agree with that,, the Megger is simple and slow (just like me;))

or you could say,, straight forward and easy to use

Forgot to say in earlier post, the Kewtech ATT means earth loop readings take an age to be taken, the last person I saw use one grew a beard waiting for Zs from a socket, which was a surprise to her!

and the other downside to the fluke is when the battery's start running low it is a "Fluke" that you'll get an accurate reading! The Megger on the other hand will just stop working and inform you that its the battery's.