17th Edition Wiring regs.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L Plate

Reaction score
Hello and Good evening all,

I just want to ask concerning Wiring regulation 17th edition. I'm taking this evening course together with my 2330 level 3 and it seems that I cant figured out how to find out the reference no. in the book, although we just have our first lesson last Tuesday . I am much aware about the Parts and the appendices. On our practice paper some of the questions were just straight forward but most of them were bit hard to find, maybe I am not familiar with the book yet??

For example this type of question :

The means of connection to a caravan pitch socket outlets, shall be a plug conforming to.

this was easy for me since the first thing in my mind is that this is belong to Part 7 section 708. so my answer is Page 191 ref. no. 708.553.1.8

BUT some of the question was really blank to me , i don't even know of which section am I going to start with.

Which one of the following is not a benefit of dividing of the installation up into a number of final circuits is to

A) mitigate the effect of electromagnetic interference

B) prevent the indirect energising of a circuit intended to be isolated

C) avoid hazards and minimize the inconvenience in the events of a fault

D) make testing easier

this is just one of the sample question that confused me of where to find this in the book e.g. which section , ref. etc.

Please any advice or guidance maybe ?

Note : as I've said earlier that we only have our first lesson last Tuesday, maybe i need more time to familiarize the book?? my exam on this course will be on early November.

Again , as always I am very thankful for all your advice and guidance

BTW. regarding with my apprenticeship application , I was able to find a company for experience , although its an unpaid one , but I decided to take it otherwise I gonna end up of no experience at all . start working with this company end of this month 2 days a week 6 hours a day ..

Good evening all

314 Division of Installation (Page 39).

Answer = D

314 Division of Installation (Page 39).Answer = D
Thanks Jud,

please can you explain why it is D ?

I browsed page 39 and bit confusing to me . Base from the question i can't find the clue.

Anyway , thanks for your reply

Thanks Jud, please can you explain why it is D ?

I browsed page 39 and bit confusing to me . Base from the question i can't find the clue.

Anyway , thanks for your reply
Because you are looking for something that is NOT a benefit of dividing the installation into circuits.

All of the other answers are in the list on page 39. "Make testing easier" isn't.

I think the question is trying to catch you out as one of the answers is "Make testing easier" and item (ii) under 314.1 is "facilitate safe inspection, testing and maintenance".

Because you are looking for something that is NOT a benefit of dividing the installation into circuits.All of the other answers are in the list on page 39. "Make testing easier" isn't.
thanks Jud, Got it , how did you know that it is in page 39 straight away ?? ( I hope you don't mind Jud , its my first time to use the book last Tuesday ) which Part or appendices is it.

thanks

Always look for clues in the question.

It's asking you a question about dividing the installation.

I went straight to D for divide in the index and there it was Division of Installation - Section 314

It's not always that easy mind ;)

Hello and Good evening all,BUT some of the question was really blank to me , i don't even know of which section am I going to start with.

Which one of the following is not a benefit of dividing of the installation up into a number of final circuits is to

D) make testing easier

this is just one of the sample question that confused me of where to find this in the book e.g. which section , ref. etc.

Please any advice or guidance maybe ?
To find answers to ANY of these sort of questions its just a matter of identifying the KEY WORDS or PHRASES in the qurestion...

then use the INDEX... (at the back of big red! ;) )

so your example question...

So phrases just JUMP out

its obviously something to do with

Division of installations

and

Final circuits..

look up either of these phrases in the index and you will find

"division of installation" is down the bottom left hand side of index page 370 and it references you to Section 314.

"final circuits" arrangement of top of index page 374 refers you to Section 314

Section 314 as has been said already is on page 39...

following that sort of technique I am 99.999999999% sure you will Always find one or more key word that you can find in the index...

from there jump to the right section.....

ALWAYS note as well if the question has a negative or double negative in the phrase..

e.g. NOT A BENEFIT.. they luuuuuuuvvvv doing the old negative questioning! ;)

so in your list

is point (v) word for word!

is point (vi) word for word

is point (i) word for word

D) make testing easier

is NOT there...

Although it does list to facilitate safe insp & test..

this is NOT to make it easy.. it is to make safer

So I am in agreement with Squadron Leader JUD... :Salute :Salute

(He has the top gun wings on tonight! :x )

Answer 'D' is NOT listed in the list of benefits!

Always look for clues in the question.It's asking you a question about dividing the installation.

I went straight to D for divide in the index and there it was Division of Installation - Section 314

It's not always that easy mind ;)
:Applaud you are right Jud, "It's not always that easy mind" I guess I still need more and more and more time with this book , thanks for the idea , it really help.

Hello and Good evening all,A) mitigate the effect of electromagnetic interference

D) make testing easier
Starting with D, haveing the circuits seperate makes it easier to test, so not a disadvantage.

C) seperate circuists will minimize inconvenience, if one trips the rest stay on

not a disadvantage

B) no shared neautrl etc:)

not a disadvantage

A) Random cables wrapped aroun each other, I stick with A as the correct answer

Sorry about the spelling , but have drunk a few bottles of wine tonight :

Starting with D, haveing the circuits seperate makes it easier to test, so not a disadvantage.C) seperate circuists will minimize inconvenience, if one trips the rest stay on

not a disadvantage

B) no shared neautrl etc:)

not a disadvantage

A) Random cables wrapped aroun each other, I stick with A as the correct answer

Sorry about the spelling , but have drunk a few bottles of wine tonight :
Answer A - "Mitigate the effects of electromagnetic interference" is in the list on page 39 (as are Answers B & C) and so is not the correct answer.

Answer D - "Make testing easier" is not in the list on page 39 and so is the correct answer.

SIMPLES!!

Actually, I was always under the impression that facilitate was just another way of saying "to make easier".

To be honest with you, I don't think any of the answers are correct.

thank you all for your guidance , I will surely take all your advice .

Actually, I was always under the impression that facilitate was just another way of saying "to make easier".To be honest with you, I don't think any of the answers are correct.
anyone want to say that haveing the circuts sepereate is a disadvantage to testing.
You seem to be reading too much into the question.

Answers A, B & C list word for word (as SPECS said) what is in Section 314.

Answer D doesn't. That's all there is to it.

You are right, facilitate can mean to "make easier". It can also mean to "assist the progress of".

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/facilitate

It all boils down to semantics.

To facilitate something, is to make that something easier.

Answers A, B and C are direct quotes from BS7671, whereas answer D is just another way of saying to facilitate testing. The fact that the word safe has been left out doesn't really matter.

A lot of these questions nowadays seem to be trick questions.

At the end of the day the point of the exam is test how well you can navigate the book and find the answers to the questions.

The question given is simply asking you to find something that is NOT in the book.

As answers A, B & C are written in the book word-for-word then the answer must be D.

Latest posts