17th edition

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doesn't matter with RCBO's if the mcb side of it is B or C curve. The RCD side of it makes up for it!

If it is a C-curve it will take any inrush current a domestic situation will throw at it. The difference in tripping times and characteristics is covered by the rcd. :x

I think we should be fitting c type mcb's to lighting circuits how many times have you heard that the mcb had tripped when the bulb had blown

I think we should be fitting c type mcb's to lighting circuits how many times have you heard that the mcb had tripped when the bulb had blown
I think for many people it's the only time the MCB's ever checked :^O

Having to reset them once in a while maybe isn't such a bad thing?

You may Jest, There apache - But you have a valid point. :D :z

but the regs did say circuits have to be divided to reduce nuisance tripping I find it a bloody nuisance every time a bulb blows

This issue is why all i`ve been fitting is boards of rcbos.Mind, I`ve had a call today to tell me a wylex 20A rcbo has gone u/s - won`t latch even with no cables connected. It was only fitted 3 weeks ago (and the wylex are all "C" curve, for crying out loud. :(
Type B Wylex have been out for months BUT they can be very, very difficult to source at the moment - aparrently rcbo manufaturers have been taken by surprise by the 17th Edition. ]:)

I think for many people it's the only time the MCB's ever checked :^O Having to reset them once in a while maybe isn't such a bad thing?
Thats all well and good for lighting and the tv etc but if like me youve got computers and office equipment and also cctv cameras on their own supplies then thats sensitive equipment and they need to be less sensitive on those types of equipment.

Originally Posted by Flying Scotsman

Thats all well and good for lighting and the tv etc but if like me youve got computers and office equipment and also cctv cameras on their own supplies then thats sensitive equipment and they need to be less sensitive on those types of equipment.
I agree 100%.

BUT

I have my computer TV etc connected through surge protectors (i know this gives no protection from cut off) and I've never had my socket radial MCB trip ever. My lights trip off once or twice a year when a bulb goes, not everytime. I had a malfunctioning sliding compound mitre saw that tripped the shed MCB but never the socket radials in the house.

When I go to the CU to reset that's when I usually test my RCD's, because i'm there. I'm sure you check yours regularly as you are supposd to (every three months my CU says) been a fully qualified spark doing everything by the book ;)

Not sure it does people any harm visiting their CU a couple of times a year? :)

(every three months my CU says) ;)
Not sure it does people any harm visiting their CU a couple of times a year? :)
So, You have a talking CU and you visit it a couple of times a year? Hmmm.

Where is it? Strangeways??

So, You have a talking CU and you visit it a couple of times a year? Hmmm.

Where is it? Strangeways??
Applaud Smiley

Are they not supposed to speak? It's in a cupboard in my sitting room....

apparently rcbo manufacturers have been taken by surprise by the 17th Edition. ]:)
Not as if they haven't had any warning about it! X(

Probably been thinking more about their '17th edition boards', as they can rip-off more people that way rather than a simple up-grade to existing CU's!

Not as if they haven't had any warning about it! X( Probably been thinking more about their '17th edition boards', as they can rip-off more people that way rather than a simple up-grade to existing CU's!
Ohhhhhh NOOO!

are you honestly suggesting they are only looking after their OWN commercial interests? Bas_ar_s!! X(X(X( X(

{select where to put the 't' & 'd' yourself sorry no prizes:(}

Are you suggesting I'm stirring things up? ;)

Off topic: Just noticed on the news that Gordon is turning up at work tomorrow...... Ho hum.....