17th edition

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
was just wondering if anyone is having problems with the 17th ed since it was implimented?

for me i've had a few 'borrowed neutral' problems with upstairs/downstairs lighting but more recently i've seen an increasing amount of calls or call backs because bulbs have blown at some point and taken out sockets outlets, ovens and garages depending on c/u configuration.

Customers not at all happy about the inconvenience.

On one occasion a spot bulb blowing in the kitchen took out the rcd controlling the garage feed(and upstairs sockets) while the guy was working under his car using a service lamp, lamp out, bang on hand with wrench!...

got me thinking there must be loads of potential problems waiting to surface the second that Tesco gu 50w lamp pops.

My bsi inspector said he could see an amendment coming in due to rcd's. When a few people have died due to tripping rcd's maybe the silly regs will change.

batty

was just wondering if anyone is having problems with the 17th ed since it was implimented?for me i've had a few 'borrowed neutral' problems with upstairs/downstairs lighting but more recently i've seen an increasing amount of calls or call backs because bulbs have blown at some point and taken out sockets outlets, ovens and garages depending on c/u configuration.

Customers not at all happy about the inconvenience.

On one occasion a spot bulb blowing in the kitchen took out the rcd controlling the garage feed(and upstairs sockets) while the guy was working under his car using a service lamp, lamp out, bang on hand with wrench!...

got me thinking there must be loads of potential problems waiting to surface the second that Tesco gu 50w lamp pops.
On older installs if i change C/U i just use split load board and 3 or 4 rcbos in the other side for lights ect it saves you loads of time sorting out said neutrals and gives a better seperation of circuits,reducing the nuisance tripping factor.If your careful when shopping around for your board +rcbos it is not that much more expensive. :)

If we do get an amendment to this reg i would think the next thing will be rcbos only. :eek:

On older installs if i change C/U i just use split load board and 3 or 4 rcbos in the other side for lights ect it saves you loads of time sorting out said neutrals and gives a better seperation of circuits,reducing the nuisance tripping factor.If your careful when shopping around for your board +rcbos it is not that much more expensive. :) If we do get an amendment to this reg i would think the next thing will be rcbos only. :eek:
That would be my gut feeling as well! ;)

I don't see an increased use of RCD's/RCBO's going away... better get used to them me thinks! :)

That would be my gut feeling as well! ;) I don't see an increased use of RCD's/RCBO's going away... better get used to them me thinks! :)
Think your right,until someone invents something even more sensitive. :eek:

Customers seem a bit sensitive when they find out the extra cost the 17th has demanded out of their little tightly zipped up purses. :_| :^O

You think you've got it bad! We've just had to spent a lot of money on dozens of 300mA RCD's because of the new chapter on Exhibitions! X(

This issue is why all i`ve been fitting is boards of rcbos.

Mind, I`ve had a call today to tell me a wylex 20A rcbo has gone u/s - won`t latch even with no cables connected. It was only fitted 3 weeks ago (and the wylex are all "C" curve, for crying out loud. :(

Contactum board full of RCBo`s is VERY VERY tight. Used to like `em, but not so much, now. Wylex getting scrappy; plus they only do "C" curve rcbo`s.

Hager, perhaps????

Or Merlin

I agree contactum boards full of rcbo's not good for cables. Mk slightly better but there is a shortage of rcbo's at the moment. Manufactures need to make boards about 40mm taller to accomodate rcbo's.

batty

Aye. Can we get a few manufacturer`s reps on here, as members?We could bend their ears for yonks, and give em loads of good ideas for their R&D / marketing depts!!!!!
I'll have a look to see if any of the companies want to sponsor us. ;)

kme - if it makes you feel any better i'm sure screwfix is feeling the pinch - they've sent me 4 10% off vouchers in the last month!

]:)

This issue is why all i`ve been fitting is boards of rcbos.Mind, I`ve had a call today to tell me a wylex 20A rcbo has gone u/s - won`t latch even with no cables connected. It was only fitted 3 weeks ago (and the wylex are all "C" curve, for crying out loud. :(
KME Wylex do the b type rcbo's my wholesaler stocks them but as i have said i don't tend to use them.

batty