17th - work on existing circuits

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys, 1st post and a simple little question :)

Just back from the continent and the 17th has come in to effect whilst I have been away!

Although I have a fair idea what most of it involves and have the course coming up, here is a quick question.

If you are working on a circuit and fitting for argument sake, say a new light fitting and 6a plate switch, from an old Wylex rewreable fuse link distribution board. and simply does not comply with the 17th. Is it true that this circuit now must be fitted with an RCD?

Therefore you either replace the entire board or remove the circuit and fit it into a single RCD board external from the existing board?

I was speaking to a mate who has done the course and explains this is now a requirement unless the customer refuses to have the work done at considerable additional expense.

If this is the case is there anyway around this problem?

Geezz wish I had stayed overseas!

I am under British Standards for my part p. My inspector has said if you are changing accesories there is no need to put in Rcd protection but you need to put on your minor works certificate that there is no Rcd protection on circuit. Although i think if it was a socket i would be inclined to ensure it was Rcd protected. If you are extending wiring then you have to then upgrade circuit to include Rcd protection.

batty

Just been reading through some of the notes I got handed today, all a touch confusing, bring on the damn course :)

An accessory change would appear to be accepted as minor or an installation report if working on more than 1 circuit, oh the joys of BS. Wish I was back working on the bench repairs LOL!

Would be interesting to hear others views on this. Also just paid the pre inspection for NICEIC so best get this 17th under my belt asap!

as long as you do NOT leave the installation in a more dangerous state then there is no requirement to comply with 17th,

as long as you note this fact on your cert as a deviation.

Again, fully agree with Steppie on this.

n.b. Minor works covers work on ONE circuit. If you`re working on 2 or more, but changing fittings; then you issue MWC for each, until the point at which it would be quicker & easier to issue a EIC for the lot.

No requirement to comply with 17th in this case, but if the installation doesn`t comply with 16th - make certain you note this on the MWC.

Again, fully agree with Steppie on this.n.b. Minor works covers work on ONE circuit. If you`re working on 2 or more, but changing fittings; then you issue MWC for each, until the point at which it would be quicker & easier to issue a EIC for the lot.

No requirement to comply with 17th in this case, but if the installation doesn`t comply with 16th - make certain you note this on the MWC.
Superb, thanks. Kind of thought that common sense would be the way forward. There is so much scare mongering with the 17th :(

Thats superb. Thanks guys :)