18th Edition, anyone got the book or done the exam yet? Discussion on changes.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sat it yesterday................the 2 hours disappears real quick.

I know there are those out there that will sit the one day & get 100%, but believe me if you are a jobbing sparks that uses the same sections of 7671 over & over consider the 3 day course, just as a refresher.

the sample papers you are given to try, are formatted the same as the old 17th course, X amount of questions per section & in section order (4 x questions in section 6 follow 10x questions from section 5).

The actual exam you have x amount of questions per section but they are totally random in order of presentation, believe me it uses up your time, with also having to decipher some of the questions first just makes it worse & none on my course left early all used the full 2 hours.

I had for example question 1

minimum distance in a gangway is?

then question 2 

A metal busbar is used as an earthing point, what is the minimum width of the coloured striping used to denote an earthing location?

(can remember the actual words but its near enough)

Followed by question 3

what considerations should be taken in to account when connecting multiple sockets to a fused spur off a 32amp circuit

Lots of questions relating to Heat & fire / AFDD and SPD's / Harmonics / Transients / SELV /PELV / a few from the Appendices & unlike the 17th a fair few relating to cable calculations, as in you end up having to reference between pages for info.

Careful of the special locations fairground questions, if you are just using the contents on page 239 to look for fair grounds or circus, they are not listed & you will waste time (look under section 704 or use the index "fairgrounds")

All in all not the walk over I was expecting if I'm honest, some left having not answered all questions, they simply ran out of time. Might explain why the pass mark has been dropped to 60% (in the book it states 80% but we were told it is 60%) how true this is I have no idea?

Oh yes unlike the 17th this is all very serious with the lecturer not being allowed in the class during the exam & an independent invigilator stalking the room while the exam is in progress (just think back to the school exam hall you'll get the idea), you do not get results on the day either.........so nope I have no idea how I did as yet & have to wait on an email.

The questions above answers are Q1 = 700mm & Q2 = 15mm & Q=3 it's in the book on page 506..........I hope thats right  :slap

I sat the exam last Thursday and I’m thoroughly annoyed at myself only getting 98.8%... 😡

Oh Dear Lord  ..spare me from such indescribable ballcocks  :C

Yes its a slow day..

Protective conductor
The bi-colour combination green-and-yellow shall be used exclusively for identification of a protective conductor and this combination shall not be used for any other purpose. In this combination one of the colours shall cover at least 30 % and at most 70 % of the surface being coloured, while the other colour shall cover the remainder of the surface.
Single-core cables identified by green-and-yellow throughout their length shall only be used as a protective conductor and shall not be overmarked at their terminations, except as permitted by Regulation 514.4.3. A bare conductor or busbar used as a protective conductor shall be identified, where necessary, by equal green-and-yellow stripes, each not less than 15 mm and not more than 100 mm wide, close together, either throughout the length of the conductor or in each compartment and unit and at each accessible position.  (IET 129)

IET. BS 7671:2018 Requirements for Electrical Installations, IET Wiring Regulations, 18th Edition. Institution of Engineering & Technology (IET), 07/2018. VitalBook file.

Probably the same for me  ,  I feel like I'm being taken for some kind of cash cow ,  not just by the so called competent person's schemes  but by  whoever  keeps changing the Regs  to get the labour force paying for more & more books and  shelling out for  unwanted training  & college courses .  

I shall probably chuck it in .   

Being  semi retired  is not conducive to shelling out ££££'s  on all this carp ,  NICEIC trying to flog you stuff every week ,  inventing cash generators like demanding a Fire Alarm installation cert for a couple of smoke alarms  instead of your ordinary Install certs .    

The trouble is  I  enjoy  getting the van out &  doing what I've done for years  ,  ( not such arduous jobs  I have to say )    , meeting people and earning a few much needed  quid .    Apart from  sharing many jobs with   a local sparks , also an old phart  ,  all my good friends & mates  from many years of sparking & the building trade  are now dead.   It leaves  me feeling like the last  dinosaur  wallowing around , wondering where everyone's gone .  :(     

I am in the same boat as @Evans Electric

i am still waiting for someone to tell me WHY I need the qualification

i am sorted with the Regs and 💩 Because, as like @Sidewinder I have the digital online version which should do me until retiring

may be afterall I will have to be dragged screaming to the Test Centre

Its quite simple: with it you are deemed competent, without it you are deemed a know it all that knows nothing. 

Oooo  thats my favourite hobby horse   !!!

Q.  How do I become a builder ?

A. Buy a trowel and paint builder on the side of the van .  Jobs a good 'un. 

Its actually a disgrace  that you can start knocking walls out of someone's house ,  carpentry , bricklaying , roofing, flooring , damp proofing , tiling, plastering , plumbing , drain laying , window fitting  etc etc   with no more  than basic DIY skills and owning your own hammer . 

I don't understand why nothing is ever done  , even if its just insisting upon a basic qualification  and a working knowledge of the Building Regs. 

I did an EICR last week. .................

I started the summary "This installation appears to be unfinished and untested ....................."

I have no idea who did the work, nor why its "incomplete" .................... 

Who would be bothered? 

Its a separate building, now a separate dwelling ........... wonder if LBC are aware of it, or the people that sort out council tax?