1976 v today

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been in London today and yesterday was like a giant hairdryer blowing on you felt like the heat was pressing into you.

Left a bottle of water in my van today, at 4 o'clock I went out and had to leave the doors open before I could get in, the water wasn't far off being too hot to drink.

Been in London today and yesterday was like a giant hairdryer blowing on you felt like the heat was pressing into you.
I think it was Billy Connolly who once said there's something wrong about a warm wind.

I opened my patio doors yesterday, it felt like getting off the plane in Spain. I promptly shut the door and stayed indoors. I'm lucky in that my house is built in to a hill, so my basement which faces North, and links to the garden is always cool.

You’ve contradicted your article which suggests that the cycle is natural, but is sped up by certain factors changing?
And how natural are those factors currently? The issue isn't so much climate change as the chaos that will ensue if we carry on in the current direction. So that in turn gives us 2 costs, the cost of dealing with the chaos, or the cost of stopping, perhaps reversing, the current direction of travel. The latter being far cheaper and less likely to end up with lots of dead people/ destruction of entire ecosystems/ destruction of wildlife/ famine / droughts/ refugees, and war over resources like water. etc etc.

Last edited:
All utter bollocks, total nonsense promoted by those that would seek to promote the climate change "industry"

As for comparisons with 1976 [which i remember rather well] that is a joke.. We had one and a half hot days. There is a special name for that; SUMMER.

Back in 1976 it went on for WEEKS, was just a little different..

john..

I believe that the UK is spoilt by the very limited range of temperature we normally experience. Most countries have a much wider range to deal with, albeit some tending higher, some lower. And people live and work in everything from scorching desert to arctic conditions.

UK infrastructure has come to be designed to the normal which we enjoy, and failure is virtually ensured the odd time we have anything different. It has become expected for everything to stop for a few centimetres of snow, and now apparently for a few days of sunshine.
Most building designs assume that it's colder outside than we want it inside, and become uninhabitable if the reverse occurs.

Surely this is where our efforts should be directed. It appears inevitable that our climate is going to be more extreme, probably in both directions. We need to design our roads, railways, homes and workplaces to accommodate this change.

Unlike wishing on a star to change the climate, adapting to work with it is perfectly do-able.

All utter bollocks, total nonsense promoted by those that would seek to promote the climate change "industry"

As for comparisons with 1976 [which i remember rather well] that is a joke.. We had one and a half hot days. There is a special name for that; SUMMER.

Back in 1976 it went on for WEEKS, was just a little different..

john..
So if it's all bollocks prove it, if you can? Exxon have certainly done a good job of convincing you that the oil industry is good for the planet :ROFLMAO:

Exxon, in case you weren't aware, discovered climate change and even created terms like 'greenhouse effect'. But their CEO decided it was all bad for the company share prices so funded a multitude of spurious research institutes to discredit their own findings. What the Americans like to call 'black ops' . They used the same tactics as the tobacco industry did to put doubt on smoking causing cancer. Have a read, even better if you have Sky see if you can find the documentary about it called 'Black Gold' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExxonMobil_climate_change_controversy#:~:text=Since the 1970s, ExxonMobil engaged,and action on global warming.

Last edited:
I believe that the UK is spoilt by the very limited range of temperature we normally experience. Most countries have a much wider range to deal with, albeit some tending higher, some lower. And people live and work in everything from scorching desert to arctic conditions.

UK infrastructure has come to be designed to the normal which we enjoy, and failure is virtually ensured the odd time we have anything different. It has become expected for everything to stop for a few centimetres of snow, and now apparently for a few days of sunshine.
Most building designs assume that it's colder outside than we want it inside, and become uninhabitable if the reverse occurs.

Surely this is where our efforts should be directed. It appears inevitable that our climate is going to be more extreme, probably in both directions. We need to design our roads, railways, homes and workplaces to accommodate this change.

Unlike wishing on a star to change the climate, adapting to work with it is perfectly do-able.
Catch 22, we are going to have to spend money on mitigating the effects of a changing climate. What annoys me is that it could have been avoided, but I think that ship has sailed a decade ago, so now it's more like damage limitation. With wind now being cheaper than other forms of generating electric, there's an economic benefit to gong carbon neutral that didn't exist a decade ago, and we've already got to about 50% of carbon neatral, so I would argue it's worth investing in a lot more green energy, and exporting surplus to earn money for the UK. We have massive wind resources in the UK, and interconnecting cables to Europe, Norway and even Iceland. So why not sell leccy to the likes of Germany, who will be desperate for energy with Russian gas cut off.