2 Post Vehicle Lift - Advice Needed

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MatthewD

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a 2 post vehicle ramp (Werther AZUR SF8907) which is a 3 phase machine which I require to use an inverter on for single phase.

We have 3PH coming into our unit, but unfortunately due to some back log my energy supplier cannot provide a PH3 Meter, we have been waiting 3 months - so this is very much a temporary measure.

I have looked at options and I believe that an Inverter would be the most logical temp solution.

Manual is attached.

I believe that I need a 20amp trip switch, alongside an 4KW Inverter such as;

https://m.vevor.co.uk/variable-freq...rCVugIwrAzubrSYYEZURbmzRvXQG_Ay8aAiHDEALw_wcB
I believe also the Motor will need to be wired to DELTA which we have the diagram for.

Can anyone let me know if I’m making any obvious mistakes here or whether all of this would work?

Attachments

• SF8907 Manual.pdf
    4.7 MB · Views: 9
chances are the motor will be a 400/690 and not 230/400 so inverter wont work. if it is a 230/400 motor then you could be in luck

quality of that inverter is also questionable

chances are the motor will be a 400/690 and not 230/400 so inverter wont work. if it is a 230/400 motor then you could be in luck

quality of that inverter is also questionable
Hi Andy,

The motor does read as 230/400V.

A side from the “make” is the technical specification of the Inverter correct?

looks like youre in luck for motor voltage. inverter looks OK, just fitting it will not be so straight forward - youll need to use that to replace the 2 contactors and get ti set up for corrent rotation for up & down. this doesnt simply fit intot he circuit before the control panel, it need to be built into it. this is not a DIY job, and since its most likely going to be in a workshop is not something that should be attempted unless you really know what you are doing. HSE will have a field day if someone is injured through a dodgy modification

looks like youre in luck for motor voltage. inverter looks OK, just fitting it will not be so straight forward - youll need to use that to replace the 2 contactors and get ti set up for corrent rotation for up & down. this doesnt simply fit intot he circuit before the control panel, it need to be built into it. this is not a DIY job, and since its most likely going to be in a workshop is not something that should be attempted unless you really know what you are doing. HSE will have a field day if someone is injured through a dodgy modification
Thanks for your responses Andy.

Just to clear something up, this isn’t a workshop etc. It’s just a unit that I own to pot around in. Use is just me.

I appreciate the wiring of this may not be DIY. I’d be interested to know how it works though, so that I can reach out to companies to install and explain appropriately. As it’s a DiY forum I’d be keen to just understand the process

also be aware that many electricians wont touch it - youll need someone who knows controls, most electricians will only go as far as its isolator

where are you?

Serious point. Make sure whoever is doing knows what they are doing, not just any old "electrician" who thinks he can do it. Get the rotation wrong and it will screw itself out of the floor in seconds by which time it will most likely have had sexual intercourse with itself. From personal experience, if he/she turns up and after connecting it tries to run it when it's touching the floor I would be wary and also stand back a little. Personally I think it's funny when they 'screw out'....but it's not my money. They got the wrong bloke then have to pay me again to fix it whilst I try to stifle my giggles

The motor is ok as its 230/400V delta/star the 24 volt transformer that supplies all the safety circuit limit and drop switches has also got 400/230v tappings. The problem is any VSD (inverter) running a lifting device needs contactors so your vsd would have to run without a load so wont ramp up or down (VSDs dont like this and will fault lout a lot) or fit 2 vsds.
there would be a lag but it would work.
you would need a controls engineer to do this and Most will not do it ( I would not)

You can get single to 3 phase convertors that will just plug in but they are expensive a quick search found this bit its not big enough for your needs https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334312415474?hash=item4dd692a0f2:g:GWoAAOSw6WZh-FRo

The motor is ok as its 230/400V delta/star the 24 volt transformer that supplies all the safety circuit limit and drop switches has also got 400/230v tappings. The problem is any VSD (inverter) running a lifting device needs contactors so your vsd would have to run without a load so wont ramp up or down (VSDs dont like this and will fault lout a lot) or fit 2 vsds.
there would be a lag but it would work.
you would need a controls engineer to do this and Most will not do it ( I would not)

You can get single to 3 phase convertors that will just plug in but they are expensive a quick search found this bit its not big enough for your needs https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334312415474?hash=item4dd692a0f2:g:GWoAAOSw6WZh-FRo
would it be easier to replace the motor with a single phase unit?

would it be easier to replace the motor with a single phase unit?
Yes but again costly a 4 pole capacitor start capacitor run 230v at 4 kw wont be cheap then theres the rewiring to the contactors and transformer

Bit puzzled if you have 3 phase at your premises why do you not already have metering . I have 3p in one of my sheds and have a meter for each phase.
Could you not flog your ramp and buy a single phase one my friend has 2 Italian ones (rebadged Chinese) they were quite cheap and have served him well.

Bit puzzled if you have 3 phase at your premises why do you not already have metering . I have 3p in one of my sheds and have a meter for each phase.
Could you not flog your ramp and buy a single phase one my friend has 2 Italian ones (rebadged Chinese) they were quite cheap and have served him well.
Pretty simple answer really only needed single phase that was the setup that energy board did. Now want three phrase and they have no components in stock to change it.

Thanks all for the response. Pretty clear on my direction. Probably going to struggle to find someone to do the work so will investigate an appropriate inverter or transformer to do the job

many places have a 3 phase service head but only a single phase meter. doesnt usually take long to get a 3 phase meter fitted though, although depends on supplier and availability

Pretty simple answer really only needed single phase that was the setup that energy board did. Now want three phrase and they have no components in stock to change it.

Thanks all for the response. Pretty clear on my direction. Probably going to struggle to find someone to do the work so will investigate an appropriate inverter or transformer to do the job
To be honest, you must be nuts.. They HAVE got a three phase meter, but cannot be bothered to come and fit it. Tell them that no worries, you are changing supplier and you will be sorted. Otherwise you are going to be spending a LOT of money to get this ramp sorted as you can forget all the "converters" you see for sale. Unless you buy one that will cost you more than the ramp, it will not be able to cope with starting the motor when it is loaded. So, if you want to lift a vehicle one day and then find you cannot lower it, crack on.. Just ring them up and change supplier, simple as that..

john..

Had one years ago, panic call. "Help we have a car stuck on ramp". They had previously ignored my advice that their "cunning plan to run a 3ph ramp off single phase " was a bag of crap.
Got there to be greeted by a panicking workshop manager and an "elevated" Lambo and a very annoyed owner. I told them what it was going to cost them, they said "too dear" and intimated that I was a robbing bar steward. I said Bye bye. No money lost as I was passing on my way to a job on the garage next door.
They then came next door begging me to bail them out😂
I explained that , being a sensitive sort of a soul, they had hurt my feelings doubting the legitimacy of my birth and even if I could be bothered then the price had doubled