2 way switch - intermediate - 2 gang 2 way switch

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markloveswifi

Reaction score
So I'm trying to replace my light switches with wifi light switches. Problem is the markings will not be like for like so wiring it will be difficult. 

I have as the title suggests A complicated lighting system with the intermediate switch at the bottom of the stairs rather than the top inbetween the two 2 way switches. 

Problem is the intermediate switch. 

It has 2 markings. L1 And L2. but the wiring appears different as L1 And L2 from the 2 way both go to L1 And L1 and L2 And L2 from the other? 

All the wires are red! Can't even track then! 

On the 2 gang 2 way the labels were com a com b b 1 way B 2way a 1 way and A 2 way whichbi managed to work out what was related to each light 

I've wired 1 gang and 2 way successfully to new wifi switches. 

The intermediate may cause the issue. Along with the age of the current switches and wires all being the same colour. 

I'm guessing

Replace the intermediate with a 2 way wiring both L1 to L1 in the 2 way and both L2 to L2 in the 2 way. The com isnt needed? 

I suspect the wifi switch is incapable of being put in place of an intermediate. Put it in place of one of the 2 way switches.

The general advice is mark every single cable core uniquely and take photos or draw a diagram BEFORE you disconnect anything , so  if  when you mess it up you can put it back as it was to start with.

Last edited by a moderator: