2330 204 and 206

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orbital

Reaction score
2330 second year level 2

My class were informed that we are to sit two exams next Tuesday. Not much time to prepare, especially when I don't really know what we have to do.

They are the 2330 204 and 2330 206

As I understand it the 206 is based on the practical test we have, writing a materials list , risk assessments, isolation procedure, that sort of thing.

The 204 is about a fluorescent circuit and testing a three phase distribution system. (3 phase should be fun as the class has not covered this!!!)

Plus safe isolation, PPE, and tools list.

It all sound quite straight forward (apart from 3 phase). However I like to prepare for exams and our lecturers were not really forthcoming with what i need to do.

Anyone have any info on this

cheers

The chap that can answer this question is: "The Doctor".

Hopefully, he will pop in Tonight.

hi

i am sorry to hear of the OP's problems.

it is a bit late now but tune in over the week-end when i shall sit with a bacardi to deal with any queriesB)

the 204 and 206 are based on your course work throughout the year,all the little set ups you made and got tested before being told to rip it off the wall, there are two parts where you have to fill out a materials,tool,h&s list also do a diagram of the final jig you built or have yet to build. the tutors did give a fair bit of help with this whether yours will? the testing of the 3 phase is a 10 minute exercise the tutor shows you what to do then you do it nothing to worry about.

ok then....

your on line exams are quite simple. the questions they ask are very very general and the notes you have been working with, with the tutor are way above and beyond what is required. they are at least where i work

your 204 practical is to demonstrate safe isolation. then you have to take measurements off a running flu. you have to state why the voltages on the seriesed choke and tube dont add up to the supply voltage ( they are at 90 degrees to each other - ac theory ) a couple of hours i believe

your 206 practical -you get 8 hours to build a small install to their spec ( no set spec) and must demonstrate dead tests and paperwork filling on it.

i have not been involved with assessing, only training the troops in the shop and classroom

i have just done this, and was really worried like yourself, but it was made a lot easier by the tutor. dont worry it is straight forward

Hi I am new to this forum and have the 204 tomorrow, am really quite nervous, have got distinctions right through so far which im really happy about, and i am confident i will pass, but to get distinctions right the way through my course would be excellent.

Exams have never bothered me in the past, but these do, think its because ive grown up now and feel passionate about my job!

Just nervous about the flurorescent light bits as havent covered them in any great detail in class, what sort of things will i be asked/asked to do?

Same goes for the three phase rig?

Just want to make sure im completely prepared for tomorrow!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Stew.

Hi I am new to this forum and have the 204 tomorrow, am really quite nervous, have got distinctions right through so far which im really happy about, and i am confident i will pass, but to get distinctions right the way through my course would be excellent.Exams have never bothered me in the past, but these do, think its because ive grown up now and feel passionate about my job!

Just nervous about the flurorescent light bits as havent covered them in any great detail in class, what sort of things will i be asked/asked to do?

Same goes for the three phase rig?

Just want to make sure im completely prepared for tomorrow!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Stew.
Start by taking a big deep breath!

Welcome to the forum :D

Why not go and introduce yourself here?

I can see it would be nice to get through on distinctions but it doesn't matter. No one will ever ask. Brain surgeons only needed 50% to pass their exams! That's more of a worry than you not getting a distinction on everything.

To do as you have you must be fairly bright! Someone who knows will be along shortly :)

Hiya mate,

Thanks for your quick reply yeah been scanning through some of them, just really want to do well at this as im quite passionate about my job! Just want to walk in there with my head held high, feeling really confident! Just not that "up" on balnced three phase systems or fluorescent lighting!

Stew.

I could give you a scanned copy of the flourescent and 3 phase circuit diagrams

hope this is of some help

you should get a bit of time to study the circuit and work out what is going where, to help you take the correct measurements.

the 3 phase is the easier of the two tasks.

using a multi meter measure the voltage through each phase and then through each of two phases. ie. phase 1 and 2,phase 2 and 3 , phase 3 and 1.

then using a clamp meter measure the current through each of the phases with a 1000w load running through each.

then with all 3 phases running with 1000w in each, measure current if any running through the neutral.

shouldnt be any if things are correctly balanced . However mine wasnt so there was a discrepancie somewhere possibly the elements in the heaters.

maybe someone may have a comment on that .

Last edited by a moderator:
As well as the florescent task there will probably be a 3 phase current measurement task where you have to comment on the values obtained in the 3 phases and the neutral on a load.

Revise R L C you should be ok!

I've got the exam preparation for 204 and 206 tomorrow.

Seems easy enough.

Then 1st June is the 206 itself and then 204 week after. So its not to badly layed out. :D

Plus passed 3 on-line exams with Distinction and one with Credit so defo going the right way for a Distinction over all.