2330 206 Practical Tests

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

ALX

Hi Everyone,B-)

Ive so far done my 201 & 202 exams, In one week i have my practical exam. I have done my materials list, tool selection, Health & safety Q's, and Wiring diagrams. Applaud Smiley

The practical comprises basically of a consumer unit connected by SWA cable from the power supply from which there will be a 20amp raidal in BES conduit, a ring main (4 dual 13A sockets) with a single spur.

There is also a two way lighting circuit. ;)

I can do all this, however i am totally stuck on the testing side of things as ive had no experience in the trade.

My college notes are of no help also. :(

I know firstly you do the safe isolation procedure, which i can manage.

After the install we have to do a continuity test, insulation resistance test, a polarity test, then a current and volt measure. ohm

^These tests i dont know how to do. Anyone know a good website i can read up on this and explains it easily? ?:|

I am crapping myself over it TBH, ive worked hard to get myself top grades and i'd hate to mess it all up now! :coat

Week after, i have my two final multiple exams. crbvcurbvubruvbruvb

Cheers, Help WILL be much appreicated! :D

have you got an on site guide? it has a guide to all testing, and the order in which they should be done

for safe isolation, remember to keep the lock key with YOU. do not give it to lecturer even if he asks. tell him to go get another lock which he can keep the key for. and remember to use proving unit after any tests

I havnt done any of mine yet all next week and on after that so if you have any pointers over the wiring diagrams, tool selection etc etc would be a help.

hi

on the 206 build there is no live testing (AFAIK)

you do

1 a continuity test on the radial lighting circuit

2 a ring continuity test if you have a ring

3 an IR test on your work

4 a polarity test, which you will have automatically done if you have used test method 1 ( R1+R2) on your radial.....if a ring the three part test also confirms polarity.

as a poster says, it is all in the OSG

best wishes

alan

hion the 206 build there is no live testing (AFAIK)

you do

1 a continuity test on the radial lighting circuit

2 a ring continuity test if you have a ring

3 an IR test on your work

4 a polarity test, which you will have automatically done if you have used test method 1 ( R1+R2) on your radial.....if a ring the three part test also confirms polarity.

as a poster says, it is all in the OSG

best wishes

alan
not quite - testing R1R2 does not fully prove polarity. there could be live and earth switched somewhere and it would not detect. you would also need to do R1Rn or R2Rn to fully prove polarity

did the college not let you loose a few times to test the jobs you done on the test borads or on a test rig ?

did the college not let you loose a few times to test the jobs you done on the test borads or on a test rig ?
Tbh the college is a total shambles, for what I've paid I've recieved hardly nothing in return. Ive done a few tests a while back but can't remember them. I will be doomed if I fail. Does the on site guide have illustrations on testing also?

I have been told by my tutors that I will be doing two live tests, but this is only using a clamp thing to measure current and voltage

Many thanks.

i think the live test they will won`t you to do is functional test just to see if everything is wired right and maybe a rcd test.

just done my 2330 level 3 test and inspection and never done any thing like your lectures have asked you to do.

like andyc said get the on site guide.do you not no anybody in the trade who can run you throw the tests.

you could always try your nearest library for the books you need.

Tbh the college is a total shambles, for what I've paid I've recieved hardly nothing in return. Ive done a few tests a while back but can't remember them. I will be doomed if I fail. Does the on site guide have illustrations on testing also? I have been told by my tutors that I will be doing two live tests, but this is only using a clamp thing to measure current and voltage

Many thanks.
the OSG does have some diagrams of what to test

I have been told by my tutors that I will be doing two live tests, but this is only using a clamp thing to measure current and voltage

Many thanks.
You don't do any "Live" testing on the 206.

It is on the Level 3 that you actually test "Live".

PM me your E-mail address. ;)

The level 2 practicals are "Centre Derived Assessments", ie designed by the college within City & Guilds guidelines so not neccessarily the same at all colleges.

You will be expected to carry out basic "dead" pre-commisioning tests in the correct order (continuity of protective conductors, ring continuities if a ring circuit is installed, IR and polarity) & functional testing when it is energised (ie do the switches etc work?).

You should be allowed to take an unmarked copy of the OSG into the exam with you.

The live testing ALX refers to is likely to be simple voltage & current measurements on an existing rig built for the task, probably with a multimeter or clamp meter.

My advice to all of my students for these exams comes from the "Hitchiker's Guide to The Galaxy" DON'T PANIC!

as a above was the test i done in my second year c&g 2330.can`t see what your college is on about.

i got this book and it came in handy PRACTICAL GUIDE TO INSPECTION ,TESTING,AND CERTIFICATION OF ELECTRICAL INSTALLATIONS by christopher kitcher.more info about testing in there than in the on site guide and picture to guide you throw you testing.

go to waterstones and have a look throw what there got to offer.

The live testing ALX refers to is likely to be simple voltage & current measurements on an existing rig built for the task, probably with a multimeter or clamp meter.
Sorry, Forgot to comment on that part - In our case it was measuring the voltage on a three-phase motor control . DOL.

Thanks for the help guys, i have now got the on-site guide, which has been much help!

However im still slightly unsure on what to do.

1. CONTINUITY-

will be using method 2.

Ok i have a lighting circuit which i'll test continuity on first, the circuit consists of a ceiling rose and two two-way switches.

So firstly i check the CPC, do i put one lead on the main Earth terminal in the CU and then the other on the CPC at the point furthest away from the CU or do i take a reading at the ceiling rose, then on each of the switches and record the highest reading?

Do i then repeat this method but neutral-neutral then again with line-line.

Moving onto the second ciruit, the ring main. This consists of four dual sockets and a single socket spur.

Am i right in thinking for this i only need to test inside the CU, as i will need to unscrew both ends of the cable to test the ring. Do i simply do CPC-CPC then LINE-LINE then NEUTRAL-NEUTRAL?

Finally i have a 20amp radial which has a D/P switch, Testing the CPC first i put one lead on the main earth terminal in the CU and then one on the CPC at the switch? again repeat this with LINE-LINE then NEUTRAL-NEUTRAL.

In the On-Site Guide there is a second step which is crossing the Line and Neutral, Line and Earth, Neutral and Earth. I know the tutor at college said we will be testing differently and that next year we will be testing 'the right way' so i assume he wont be doing step two in our exams as i know this hasnt been covered.

Equipment- low resistance ohm meter with a range of 0-100ohm, what sort of reading am i looking for >0.70ohm

Will i also have the switches kept on but the breakers off? apart from swithing the two way switches on & off showing the change in reading and also checking the polarity?

INSULATION RESISTANCE-

Test to be carried out in the CU only, testing LINE-CPC, NEUTRAL-CPC, LINE-NEUTRAL?

Equipment- high resistance ohm meter, set at 2x the supply voltage so on the 500v setting? expecting a reading of <1000M ohm

POLARITY-

The On-Site Guide says to use the same method as method one in the continuity tests, however i know we have not been doing this at college.

Im pretty sure we use a setting that makes a buzzing sound, simply testing the LINE only.

lighting circuit- One lead in the CU then the other on one of the two-way switches simply turning the switch on and off the buzzing sound would indicate the the Line is in the Line conductor only? Then repeating this on the other two way switch.

The Ring Main & Spur- Again one lead in the CU then the other in the socket using a test plug, moving on to each socket turning the switch on and off? As they are dual sockets do i just test on off them or both?

Equipment- Buzzer

Sorry for the long post, Cheers Guiness Drink:YGuiness Drink

hello, i have got my am2 on monday and am a bit rusty with the emergancy keyswitch override on the 2 way lighting circuit, a circuit diagram would be very helpful any one

thanks