2330 level 3 or test & inspect level 2?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1eye101

Reaction score
Hi! 1st off....great forum!

I'm in the last stages of completeing my level 2 2330 and am wondering about my options for the future.

Background:

I currently work nights in an electrial/engineering company (4.5 years) and earn reasonably good money considering I only have my 17th editon qualification. I mainly work in electrical but we do not do any instalation work, only inspecting.

I'm 29 and spent my mid teens until 25 labouring with various builders. Although I would not say I'm not competant yet to go alone, I'm not a muppet with tools!

Intentions:

To initialy carry on working in my current job whilst part time house bashing with the possibility of going self employed in the future (domestic). What ever course I take next I intend to spend the next year working part time to gain more experience and put the money earnt towards buying my own test gear. I know a few electricians and builders from my previous years labouring.

Question!

Do I need level 3 to house bash or would I benifit more from doing the level 2 test and inspect?

Thanks

Stuart

hi mate, problem is that the 2330 course is being scrapped this year (see other post on the forum).

they are now merging the 2330 and the NVQ in to a new qualifiacation, no one seams to have much detail on how its going to work or how long its going to be etc.

It might pay to ring your local college and ask them the route to take.

Thanks for the replies.

I asked at college and I was told that they were going to continue with the level 3 next year. 2 out of 3 tutors said that level 3 would be the best thing to do, but they would say that as they are mainly level 3 teachers and that keeps them in a job! The grant has gone now for the 2330 meaning its going to cost

Definately continue and do the 2330 Level 3!

If you leave it and have a break, when you return, you will find that it will have been combined as mentioned above, and as such, you will possibly have to the whole thing from scratch again.

I&T Level 2? You mean the 2392? Fundimental Inspection & Testing?

It looks like work are not going to pay for level 3 and I can't afford the

Hi Andy

Apprantly there is no grant for the 2330 any more so its going back up to full price, which our tutor (head of department) said

Flipping Heck.

I would find another college and would be prepared to travel, rather than pay that. :eek:

Having the 2392 is just a stepping stone to the 2391 and it will not be accepted as a qual by the NIC, I have had this confirmed by the NICEIC too. :(

hey

level 3 is just under pinning knowledge. Extremely valuabale??? Yeah prob no doubt. Look on ICS website at a qual called BTEC Advanced Diploma Level 3 or something like that? Aparently a lot of people are doing this as it is same equiv as 2330 :S

Level 2 T&I. Extremely valuable??? yeah maybe but not as much as 2391, as already said, just a "stepping stone" but a very good 1

Bottom line is you dont "need" all these quals to register with a scheme provider (NIC, NAPIT, ELECSA etc etc) just need to be competant, confident in what your doing and understand BS7671. There is a qual called DISQ (Domestic Installer Scheme Qualification) which gives you good knowledge for the scheme providers assessments etc. This type of route is often frowned upon by other people as it makes you look like a "6 week and im an electrician" person. Again, bottom line is you could have done this type of work for 20 yrs and still be s!!t at it but then you may only be new but be totally excellent at the job!! Just depends on the type of person you are

You dont even need a 2391 to sign up either!!

thanks

Thanks gents.

The idea behind the 2392 is to learn the live tests that I would have been learning in level 3.

What ever happens I feel that more experience is a piority. I competant with tools and general practices and have been doing minor electrical jobs for a while now.

I'm going to check out the btec route and see what it has to offer.

Thanks again

Hi

Have just introduced myself on the 'introduce yourself section'.

Am currently applying for the 2330 L3 (currently doing L2). Have just been on the City and Guilds website to help clarify a few issues.

This quote from the web page may be of interest:

"It is anticipated that there will be no funding for new learners on the NQF after July 2010 or once the new QCF qualifications are available. As such, if your centre typically accesses funding for these qualifications and wishes to do so after July 2010, we would strongly recommend that you register learners and confirm funding before 31 July 2010."

http://www.cityandguilds.com/53033.html

which I hope is good news if you are planning to do the course from Sept as long as your college registers learners before 31st July.

I certainly will be checking this over coming weeks with tutors.

Thanks