2330 project

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pwnhorde

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am in my 1st yr (2day evening course) of the 2330. I am the only student that is not already a practising electrician so I am at a disadvantage to the others. We have had to draw a 1:75 scale drawing of a down stairs flat and draw in the cableing for both an electric shower and the lights, which I have completed.

Our next assignment is to price up the components for the job. You can probably see my dilema now. I have no idea, other than obviously light switches and the actual shower what is needed to sucessfully complete the wiring.

So what I was hoping for is someone to help me out a little and give me an idea of what is needed. I dont need to know prices etc as I want to do that myself but I really need a list of what I need to have to do the job.

its a new build by the way so it a completlely new installation.

Thanks for your time.

Hello and welcome.

Have you been specified a shower? The rating of that will possibly effect the size of cable you would choose and the breaker for the CU. What sort of lighting are you wanting? Downlighters over shower need IP ratings.

Why don't you give it a go and we'll chip in with suggestions? Go on.

I think you misunderstand how unkowledgeable I am on this topic. I am a month into my course and all we have done so far is key skills in math and PPE/H&S.

Shower is a 10.5kw

Lights

Hall: 1 Ceiling Light

Living Room: 3 Wall Lights

Bedroom: 1 Ceiling Light

Kitchen: Tube light

Bathroom: 1 Ceiling Light

I will do all the quantities for the cable etc but I just need to know what kind and what other components I would need. You have to understand that the component listing doesnt have to be accurate as I just need to demonstrate I can work out quantites/pricing for key skills math.

Thanks very much for your very very quick reply, its appreciated.

I think you misunderstand how unkowledgeable I am on this topic. I am a month into my course and all we have done so far is key skills in math and PPE/H&S.
You may be surprised, I'm a Vet not a spark :D

Shower you are likely to need 10mm T&E, some kind of isolator and cable. Clips for cable? Lights usually wired in 1.5mm twin and earth, clips etc to go with that. Remember switched need some kind of back box to attach to. Where a cable passes through a back box you use a rubber grommit to protect it. If wire buried in wall often capping is used to protect them from the nasty plasterer!

Have a look on screwfix ot TLC's websites. Decide on your fittings. Do we assume the consumer unit is already there? You will need MCB's for the new circuits.

Good luck!

Start from the consumer unit (CCU) then work your way to the the end of the circuit thinking what you need as you go.

For a lighting cicuit this would be your list.

• Consumer unit
  • Circuit breaker (MCB 6 Amp)
  • 1.5mm Twin and Earth
  • Earth sleaving
  • Brown sleaving
  • 1.5mm cable clips
  • Metal back box
  • Grommets
  • Ceiling rose
  • 1 Way single pole switch
  • Wall plugs
  • Wood screws

Tim

A few questions guys.

Earth Sleeving & Brown Sleevig, is it either 3mm,4mm,6mm, as these are the options I have on screwfix. A little explanation as to why it a particular size would be good but not necessary if you dont have the time.

1.5mm Cable clips, not sure what these are, could you post a link for me please. so I can estimate how many I need.

Cable clips used to clip 1.0mm and 1.5mm Twin and Earth Cables, Direct to the wall.

A few questions guys.Earth Sleeving & Brown Sleevig, is it either 3mm,4mm,6mm, as these are the options I have on screwfix. A little explanation as to why it a particular size would be good but not necessary if you dont have the time.

the number is the diameter. for most things, 2mm earth sleeving will be fine. for 10mm