3+E colours information

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
from memory if single phase, the use of colours is dependant on what it is being used for. If 2way strappers, all cores are sleaved brown. If used as swa, grey becomes blue & black becomes earth & smoke alarms as colours mentioned as above. This is the recommendations for NICEIC contractors as given by them, got the info somewhere but no time to look at moment. Don't think it mentions it in the 7671 though so I assume it is not gospel but it would be good if all installs were identified in the same way.
So do I read that as saying that you would use black as neutral for smokies; iaw bs5839, and grey for neutral in other cases?

Or are we actually saying that BS5839 is less important than BS7671?

No, I indicated on my other post grey for blue & black remains black on smokes. I thought the interlink wire to smokes is a low voltage trigger so it cant be a live or a neutral, might be wrong.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, although there are no specific regs to state what colour is used for what - it is upto the indivual spark on what colour h e uses for what.

I was told to use the Brown as Live, Grey - sleeved brown/ Live or Sleeved Blue/Neutral and to sleeve the Black Green/Yellow for Earth.

I was told the reason for this is that Neutrals should not be associated with the old colour Black. (what difference that makes when it is sleeved Blue - I don't know).

We are never going to, not associate black as neutral for a very very long time. there are too many installs out there in the old colours. I am an niciec contractor and I always sleeve black blue, to me it makes sense.

It does make sense to me too, Cheggers. But I am only saying that was the way I was told. :)

guys, as of from 30th of this month NO-one should be associating black as a Neutral,

unless they dont look at themselves as a spark,

that is what separates us from the DIYers out there,

knowing the rules and good working practices.

personally if I came across a job on which the black was sleeved blue I would

(in my mind quite rightly) assume that DIY bob had been there.

its just not professional to use two different colours as a Neutral,

ie,

Black(on your smokes) and

Grey (on your SWA)

Ive said it before,

but why cause more confusion than already exists ?

why dont we just all use a simply swap of L1 L2 L3 and ignore the actual colour of the cables?

ie,

pretend red and brown are really a colour called L1,

black and yellow are really called L2

grey and blue arent really colours either, they are actually L3

remember,

ITS ONLY MY OPINION

Think we`re going to have to agree to disagree on this one.........

IMHO, if someone from BS5839 is telling me that the "correct" way to wire the smokies is to blue sleeve the black; that is what I will do.

On the end of the day - it is sleeved. AFAIAC that is what matters - NOT the colour under the sleeving.

n.b. wally. Interlink isn`t standard across manufacturers. Some use full mains; some use a low voltage ( variant again with make). That is the main reason for never interconnecting different makes of smokie; UNLESS both manufacturers state that they can be used together.

KME

I vote someone, (NOT me), writes to this "expert" and points out his stoopidity.

now, who is the person that is always posting the war and peace postings,,,,,,,,

]:) ] :) ]:) ] :) ]:) ] :)

I vote someone, (NOT me), writes to this "expert" and points out his stoopidity.now, who is the person that is always posting the war and peace postings,,,,,,,,

]:) ] :) ]:) ] :) ]:) ] :)
Well sorry step's

Cuz we all vote you!

I have a signed petition here nominating you!

SL

KME

EXT15

AD1

WW

FS

TS

DTG

CFH

NT

AD2

TG

MrS

S&S

M107

BM

etc..

etc..

to name but a few...

So if that letter is not posted tomorrow.......

The Dons boys will be delivering another horses head! :D :D:D

guys, as of from 30th of this month NO-one should be associating black as a Neutral,unless they dont look at themselves as a spark,

that is what separates us from the DIYers out there,

knowing the rules and good working practices.

personally if I came across a job on which the black was sleeved blue I would

(in my mind quite rightly) assume that DIY bob had been there.

its just not professional to use two different colours as a Neutral,

ie,

Black(on your smokes) and

Grey (on your SWA)

Ive said it before,

but why cause more confusion than already exists ?

why dont we just all use a simply swap of L1 L2 L3 and ignore the actual colour of the cables?

ie,

pretend red and brown are really a colour called L1,

black and yellow are really called L2

grey and blue arent really colours either, they are actually L3

remember,

ITS ONLY MY OPINION
Well sorry Mr Steps.... but it is not YOUR opinion..

It also seems to be the opinion of NICEIC publications...

Pictures speak 1000 words...

3core & earth

S.W.A.

Extractor Fan

well theres 3000 agreeing with Steptoe! :D :D

I accept your diagrams; and have indeed seen them in NIC publications.What I am getting at is:

http://www.eielectronics.com//Userfiles/wire6new.pdf

NOW what does everyone suggest????
am I missing something?

that doesnt show a black sleeved blue,

even tho i would disagree with the interconnect being grey its not an issue if your cable is brown grey blue, tho I have no idea where that colour cable comes from.

cheap taiwanese import copy.? :^O

I accept your diagrams; and have indeed seen them in NIC publications.What I am getting at is:

http://www.eielectronics.com//Userfiles/wire6new.pdf

NOW what does everyone suggest????
Of course the problem with that picture is we need some

"Brown, Blue, Grey" cable? ?:| :p :| :(

That's completely floored me cuz I dunno what to do with me black now? :_|

& as for some of them smokes with "Pink" interconnect wires?? ?:| :eek: :p:p

Blimy!

only just noticed Steptoes done the pushy.. shovey... jumpy, inny...

sort of posty thing when you are in the middle of writing another post..

he went an snuk in!! :( :( :(

I better go an tell KME to have words with Admin..

Cuz they don't listen to me unless I've had me full dose of medication!:| X( :( :p :p:p:p

Blimy!only just noticed Steptoes done the pushy.. shovey... jumpy, inny...

sort of posty thing when you are in the middle of writing another post..

he went an snuk in!! :( :( :(

I better go an tell KME to have words with Admin..

Cuz they don't listen to me unless I've had me full dose of medication!:| X( :( :p :p:p:p
well if your THAT SLOW that I can do the pushy inny thing then you really do deserve to miss your place.!!!

:^O :^O:^O

If there`s enough call for it, I could be convinced to do a "typing class". Some of you may not miss out on your reply slots, as you`d be using more than 1 pencil between your toes.

Similarly, for those unable to perform basic spelling, an option to "proofread" could be provided - at a cost; naturally:^O:^O:^O:^O

If there`s enough call for it, I could be convinced to do a "typing class". Some of you may not miss out on your reply slots, as you`d be using more than 1 pencil between your toes.Similarly, for those unable to perform basic spelling, an option to "proofread" could be provided - at a cost; naturally:^O:^O:^O:^O
How about just supplying a "Nice looking" secretary to sit on me knee and do the typing for me???? ; \ ; \ :^O :^O:^O:^O:^O] :)