60amp domestic supply is an upgrade necessary

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jintypup

Reaction score
HI, just found out my property has a 60amp supply and we are planning an electrical upgrade.  We are on mains gas, but are planning an electric oven, tumble dryer, it has three bedrooms, two small shower rooms (not electric showers), lounge, small kitchen are we ok with our existing supply or should we go for an upgrade. There are logistical problems as our supply comes under our neighbours property from his front door, no idea how easy it will be to do.

thousands, probably millions, of houses with the same set up happily living on a 40a fuse. unless youve been having problem with overloading the supply and blowing the fuse, then if it aint broke, dont fix it. you can also expect to pay thousands for them to fit a larger cable / fuse . it would also have to go back to the cable in the street

I would be surprised if that house ever pulled much over 30 amps .....

i have a client , with a 5 bed house, integral 1 bed annex, pool, tennis court and loads of garden lights ..... On a 60A fuse

Thanks, that is helpful. My builder is suggesting that I need an upgrade, is there such a thing as a 16 amp domestic supply, ? if I definitely have a 60amp supply I will leave it be and maybe go for a gas oven, or do you think that is not necessary.   Surely with LEDs now it all helps.

If you builder is just suggesting, 'AKA guessing and waffling', then ignore him. If he has some genuine load calculations based on not just the number of rooms or appliances, but actual real peak demand based on durations that multiple loads will regularly be in use consecutively then ask for as copy of his calculations so that we can have  a look and give a more constructive answer. But as a simplified illustration, if you had 10 appliances that all could draw 10amps, if none of them are ever in use simultaneously then the maximum demand is still only 10 amps. However if they were all on at the same time for 2 hours solidly then you would be looking at a maximum demand of 100amps.  A principle called diversity, which relates to how many items are on for sustained periods at the same time, is applied when calculating expected maximum demand, you do not just add up all of your appliances. Or take another simplified example; consider the average car in your street, they all have a maximum rpm that their engines can turn over at, and a maximum bhp, and torque. Very few of them will have ever reached anywhere near their limits in normal urban driving. In a similar way the power that most homes consume is a lot less than a lot of people think.

Doc H.    

Last edited by a moderator:
Builder is 95% talking nonsense. If it was as simple as changing a fuse then yes, upgrade the supply, but it isn't as simple as changing the fuse and you don't need to. The electric oven will be fine, nothing else you have sounds like it is anything to worry about. My own house has a 30A main fuse and I regularly have various combinations of tumble dryer/washing machine/dishwasher/electric oven on at once along with the rest of the usual household things.

Hi Jinty,

I agree with al the others... Now, if you did not have the gas, and used electricity for heating too, THEN, you MIGHT, have a problem. But, with what you are describing, you will definitely have no problems at all...

A 60a fuse takes a LOT of blowing. I used to run a welder that would, [and did] pull 109A on my 60A fuse, and guess what, it is still the same fuse now, 40 years later.. Never blew once..

You will be fine!!

john..

Yes as the others have said ,  60A will be fine .   It actually means that the fuse  is designed to  carry that stated load , it doesn't blow as soon as you hit the 60A  which you won't anyway.    You don't  want to be paying for a new supply cable  I assure you. 

There was a fashion for the networks  (DNO)  to start fitting 100A  everywhere ........followed by another fashion to downgrade them to 80A  ..and now some are going at 60A again .   

Guys

Thank you all so much, been having sleepless nights over this one. Will gently suggest to the builder we are fine with what we have. Fantastic input. :signthankspin: