6mm main bonds

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamlettphil

Reaction score
made the stupid mistake today of not checking the main water bond and gas bonds in a house. realised after the floors and carpets were back down!!!!!X:_| though we had our local NICEIC guy in talking to us about the 17th edition. he said there was no problem with this size cable as long as it is in good condition (no discolouration in the sheathing). they are ok. the house is a TT system with the main earth coming from the spike then to the incoming water supply then to the mains at the other end of the house. opinions people. cheers

Its legal under 16th - and don't think its changed under 17th. If you look in your OSG for 16th you will find a picture depicting TT system with 6mm bond and main earth, althouigh some publications show TT systems with 16/10 mm main earth/MEBs

6mm Main Bonding is considered, as a minimum, adequate in most cases..

B)

the house is a TT system with the main earth coming from the spike then to the incoming water supply then to the mains at the other end of the house. opinions people. cheers

I don't think you are allowed to link the main earth from the rod to the water they need to be separate back to the board. but I may be corrected here

the house is a TT system with the main earth coming from the spike then to the incoming water supply then to the mains at the other end of the house. opinions people. cheers
I don't think you are allowed to link the main earth from the rod to the water they need to be separate back to the board. but I may be corrected here

Well you are going to need to be able to isolate any gas/water bonds..

to test the earth loop of the Rod!

without having any interfering Parallel paths through water pipes! ;)

Thats what I was trying to say

but not very good at it, the quote thing didn't work for me.

Thats what I was trying to say but not very good at it, the quote thing didn't work for me.
You deleted the first bit of your text bud..

It needs the word "QUOTE" in square brackets at the start..

and "/QUOTE" in square brackets at the end!

or us the highlight area of text and press the quote button above the edit window.

and you can get text like this
wherever you want it!!

HTH! ;) :) :) :)

Or use the "Quote button" on the ottom right of everypost. It automatically quotes all text for ya - and puts it in a nice blue box. :p

You are both correct - the EC must go to the MET; NOT via a bond to "something or other". If you don`t find it, or realise, you do an Re test, and put down a rod impedance of 5.3 ohms or summat!. Earthing AND bonding conductors, correctly labelled, should be terminated at the MET!

KME

Oh. I would NOT be happy with 6mm bond either. I`d suggest upgrade to 10mm

You deleted the first bit of your text bud..It needs the word "QUOTE" in square brackets at the start..

and "/QUOTE" in square brackets at the end!

or us the highlight area of text and press the quote button above the edit window.

wherever you want it!!

HTH! ;) :) :) :)
as you said I deleted the quote at the beginning

If memory serves me correctly , 2.5 mm protected 4mm not protected is the requirement for tt

Or use the "Quote button" on the ottom right of everypost. It automatically quotes all text for ya - and puts it in a nice blue box. :p
What is this ottom we are talking about master...

the younglings do not have ottoms???

aw you

mean

BUM!

:^O :^O:^O:^O:^O:^O:^O:^O

sorry:(

Beer...

I'll get me coat! :| :_|

I believe THAT is Supp. bond mate!!!!!
No I think you will find that it is main bond on tt. It was on the 15th, think it was still on 16th, but not checked out 17th yet

Haven`t got my 17th to hand, but:

16th: 547-02 Main bonding.

547-03 Supp. bonding

547-03-03 Your quote above mate.

MBC is sized according to supply tails. You could use a 6mm EC IF you`ve only got 10mm tails!!!!!!

Haven`t got my 17th to hand, but:16th: 547-02 Main bonding.

547-03 Supp. bonding

547-03-03 Your quote above mate.

MBC is sized according to supply tails. You could use a 6mm EC IF you`ve only got 10mm tails!!!!!!
Concurrences abound Mr KME! ;) :p :x :D:D

In new money... Lets try...

544.1 Main bonding.

544.2 Supp. bonding

544.2.3 Your quote above mate.

converted from pounds to euros? or was that 16th to 17th

oh ******...

I'm forgetting why I rote what I did????

sorry to drag this one back up,im trying to nail this bonding upgrade once and for all,im getting conflicting answers. if i go to a house that is tncs and need to add a new ring for the kitchen and find that the main equipotential bonding is 6mm do i have to upgrade it to 10mm even if its in good nick? what about tns?

sorry to drag this one back up,im trying to nail this bonding upgrade once and for all,im getting conflicting answers. if i go to a house that is tncs and need to add a new ring for the kitchen and find that the main equipotential bonding is 6mm do i have to upgrade it to 10mm even if its in good nick? what about tns?
6mm bonding is adequate and considered the minimum, for TN systems, refer to the Electrical Safety guides (PIR).

(Give your reasons for not updating, though)

The Godfather