A Quiet Sunday, Not!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil d

Reaction score
My mate's been building a large aviary in his garden, it's even having a pond in it, anyway he's a great guy always ready to help anyone, last week I needed to re felt my shed and he came over at the drop of a hat to help me. So when he said he wanted some electrics in the aviary I said I'd sort it for him, I did some of the work during the week and decided to finish it yesterday, nothing too taxing and it was sunny so all in all quite a relaxing day was planned, needless to say it didn't happen.

The plan was to sort his electrics in the morning, then go and visit some of the lads from the dog section of my local force, they train near me and I've not seen them for a bit so I was planning to pop down with some special chew sticks for my mates, and coffee and donuts for the handlers.

On my way back from the car boot sale I found a burst water main on the motorway slip road so called it in to the highways agency, a little way down the road I spotted a couple of the highways lads, so I flagged them down and sent them to the area where the leak was, so far so good. My mate had been at a party the night before so I drove him back to collect his car, then started working on the aviary, it was all going well until about an hour later, he stumbled into a hole and ended up doing his ankle in! There are four other drivers in his family, but they were all still over the limit from the previous nights party, after administering first aid I decided that his ankle, if not broken was at least very severely sprained, so it was off to the hospital with him. I arrived back from dropping him at A&E to find his family had thoughtfully packed all my tools away, I got them all out again, finished work on the aviary, and replaced 2 outside lights, his wife was in flap mode, she'd packed him an overnight bag and was planning on taking it to him at visiting time, she really thought they'd keep him in. Anyway by the time I got finished it was to late too go and see the lads on the dog section, I packed my gear away, put his car back on the drive and drove home. I only live across the road but to save carrying loads of kit across, I took my motor, anyway I 'd just sat down to my dinner, it was about half four, and the phone rang, my mate had been discharged from hospital and needed bringing home.

I went to the hospital to collect him, it was only a severe sprain, a weeks rest and he'll be fine fortunately, I took him home, got him settled in, had a drink and a smoke with him then finally went home, so much for a quiet day helping a mate! I think I'll plan a busy one for next Sunday, it might work out quieter. 

Just been over to see my mate, took a couple of beers with me and he's feeling a lot happier about his sprained ankle, it has certain advantages, he very rarely gets a chance to drink as he's always driving somewhere. However he decided he'd have a beer as he can't drive with his ankle strapped up, the weather has took a turn for the worst and it's cold and windy, "you know something" he said staring out of the window, "it's a pity it's not sunny, it'd be great sitting in the garden and downing a few cans".

As he said "I can't drive so I may as well have a drink", I don't think he'll be rushing back to work, do you?