A word of caution.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I nearly fell for it . Called to look at a shower not working on way home. Customer says a light bulb blew, lights went off, got her dad round who got the lights on but shower is now dead.

Quick look at the mains cupboard, seperate Wylex 30a HRC sw/fuse for the shower, switched on, neon is not lit on DP switch outside bathroom.

Check the fuse, OK , switch the Wylex off and go to DP switch to remove and check, neon is now on !!

Turns out to be an old Wylex (didn't look it, white one) the switch works the other way to modern ones , up being on, the dad had switched it when looking into the lighting problem, then switched it down thinking ,as I did , that it was back on.

Noticed as I left that the old MCBs in the board were all switched up (on) too .

Never assume things are normal.

:p

I have been caught out like that before, I did it over the phone explaining step by step to a customer.

I ended going over there at night only to find your problem.Blushing

Put them in the right position problem solved and I left rather red faced with embarrassment.

:p I have been caught out like that before, I did it over the phone explaining step by step to a customer.

I ended going over there at night only to find your problem.Blushing

Put them in the right position problem solved and I left rather red faced with embarrassment.
:^O

I would disagree, I always make assumptions when I go to a house - I assume it has been wired by a blind and deaf monkey, then modified by a colour blind chimp and inspected by someone who was shown how to change a plug at school in 1974 and as such all earths are live, no switch is wired correctly and the ringmain is wired in 1mm twin and earth with a 40 amp fuse with a spur to 6 sockets off every point on the ring main with no FCU.

I find thinking like that makes you check and double check everything.

Although I was told several years ago "Assumption is the mother of all F**K ups"

I would disagree, I always make assumptions when I go to a house - I assume it has been wired by a blind and deaf monkey, then modified by a colour blind chimp and inspected by someone who was shown how to change a plug at school in 1974 and as such all earths are live, no switch is wired correctly and the ringmain is wired in 1mm twin and earth with a 40 amp fuse with a spur to 6 sockets off every point on the ring main with no FCU. I find thinking like that makes you check and double check everything.

Although I was told several years ago "Assumption is the mother of all F**K ups"
ROTFWL ROTFWL

Have one of these on me

Guiness Drink Guiness Drink