add a cooer swithch/socket to an existing one

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red111

Reaction score
Hi All
this might sound weird , but it will make our life a lot easier if it works .
we have some restrictions on spurring to create a new socket for a microwave . at the moment we have a wall cooker switch like this https://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-2-gang-45a-dp-control-switch-white/15973
connected to our cooker via a plate like this https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-1-gang-45a-cooker-outlet-plate-white/61074.
my question is :
we are changing our cooker for a built in one , can i connect a new switch with a socket like this one https://www.screwfix.com/p/2-gang-45a-cooker-switch-13a-dp-switched-socket-white/3285d
where the old cooker was connected . (making it 2 cut off switches but one with a 3pin socket)
means i will have 1 normal cooker switch then the plate as mentioned above then the new cooker switch with the integrated socket then the cooker connected to it and the microwave connected to the integrated socket?
i believe the circuit is dedicated to the cooker .
any help or advice will be much appreciated

Just to get this straight ..........   are you saying  , remove existing cooker switch plate and replace with one that includes a socket ?   

And thats no problem .  

Edit;       Just looked on Screwfix  ...you'll have to realign the cooker  switch box  from vertical to horizontal. 

Last edited by a moderator:
no . everything stays 

vertical cooker switch ... wire..connecting plate...wire horizontal plate with 3 pin socket... .........wire  new cooker . and microwave to the 3pin socket

red111 said:
no . everything stays 

vertical cooker switch ........ wire........connecting plate...wire......... horizontal plate with 3 pin socket... .........wire ......... new cooker . and microwave to the 3pin socket

Re-capping then .....  you will connect some cooker cable to the original outlet plate ...back up to your new , horizontal  switch / socket  unit and  connect the  new built in cooker  to the new switch .

Microwave will be plugged in . 

Re-capping then .....  you will connect some cooker cable to the original outlet plate ...back up to your new , horizontal  switch / socket  unit and  connect the  new built in cooker  to the new switch .

Microwave will be plugged in . 
Talk about a "clumsy" way to do things.

You want to add another cooker control unit with a socket after the cooker outlet plate, but would it not be easier to wire in a single socket outlet to the cooker outlet plate along with the built in oven (assuming it does not also need a socket, in which case just connecting a double socket outlet), ensuring that the circuit and cables used are suitable for the expected load and that the circuit is adequately protected.

cooker switching.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
You want to add another cooker control unit with a socket after the cooker outlet plate, but would it not be easier to wire in a single socket outlet to the cooker outlet plate along with the built in oven (assuming it does not also need a socket, in which case just connecting a double socket outlet), ensuring that the circuit and cables used are suitable for the expected load and that the circuit is adequately protected.

YESS , the image in the middle is what i want to do . and then the 3 pin socket will host a microwave .

its just easier for me this way. can it be done?

circuit and cables are suitable and dedicated to a cooker but i believe there is no rcd ( the main switchboard is a bit dated) 

View attachment 9522

or will . image 3 but with a 3 pin  rcd socket instead the normal 3 pin socket . be better

You are then into the realm of compliance with the wiring regulations, whereby sockets and cables buried in walls (in safe zones) <50mm deep require 30mA RCD protection.  That is more complex to ascertain from a distance and would have to be determined by an electrician on site.

Electrically it is probable that the modification you wish to do is possible, subject to some inspection and testing, from a practical point of view installing multiple isolators seems pointless and installing sockets requires a further level of compliance with BS7671.