Adding RCD and spur to ring main.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny1990

Reaction score
I am looking at a job where I have been asked to extend the ring circuit, which there is no issue. By modifying the circuit, I need to add rcd protection. The c.u is a old MK Sentry MCB board with the ring on a 5930 MCB. I tried to fit a new MK sentry rcbo, but the busbar terminal height is different.
I am thinking of putting a RCD enclosure just under the C.U. I would need to extend the cables by 32A Wagos. The question is could I take a 4mm from the MCB down to the RCD, then from the RCD another 4mm back to the 3 x 3port wagos connecting it to the ring, Is this acceptable? Easier than taking 2 x 2.5mm down to rcd then another 2 x 2.5mm up for space.
The client client also wants a socket added below the c.u. There is no available rcd protected mcbs. I planned on taking a 2.5mm spur from the proposed new rcb/enclosure to the 1 x 2gang socket. Anyone see any issues, non-regs compliance with this?

Hope this all makes sense. I can try and get photos and drawing of proposed idea.

There is nothing to say you can’t do this but watch your max Zs values on the ring you have extended

i normally give the client the price for what you suggest and for a new CU - and let them choose

Last edited by a moderator: