Adding Sockets to Ring Existing Ring main

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garvey2003

Reaction score
Hi,
Just had our extension done for our kitchen but it would seem I under estimated the number of sockets required.
Hopefully this will make sense. Currently I have 1 2 way gang one side of the hob, I need 2 more sockets that side and would like a single the other side of the hob. the Cooker is double over to the left.

All cabling need to be extended behind the kitchen units, not able to chase in the wall due to glass splashback in the middle.
The main feed comes from the roof.

I was thinking splitting one 2.5 t&e cable going into the existing socket and connecting with wago connectors, then routing the rest around as show.
I've done something like this before but have the wago connectors in a wago box to comply with with regs. the issue her is the only place the wago connectors can go would be in the first main socket.

Any suggests would be greatly apricated.
KITCHEN EXTRA PLUGS.jpg

It's fine doing it like that. You need to test the circuit to ensure it is a ring final circuit, additional rcd protection is also required.

What do you mean by rcd protection below the worktop.

I have had a new CU fitted and this is a new edition to the house as it’s new kitchen extension, I didn’t think I would need any additional RCD protection for the new sockets, I assumed you meant I need to fit a rcd protection thermal on the cable under the worktop.
Sorry maybe I’m a little confused haha

Is there 30ma rcd protection at the consumer unit which supplies these socket outlets.

Should be fine then just needs testing for correct operation.

Ensure the cables running under the hob are far enough down to protect them from the heat, should have a shelf with reflective foil on it between the hob and any drawer or cupboard under?