Additional solar array and addition of a battery

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK. This makes sense
so if you already have a 4kWp installed and you want to add more panels with a new invertor (in order to keep you Fit from the existing system). Then either you cannot export anything from your new system or you need DNO approval and move to 3 phase. am I correct?

Excellent news. If I may ask who is your DNO? Mine is Scottish Power.

Did you have to move to 3-phase and is there a cost involved?

Thanks

DNO is UK Power Networks

Did the give consent on single phase or 3 phase .

Single phase - I'm literally the first house on the connection from the transformer (which is next to our garage), which apparently works in our favour.

OK. This makes sense
so if you already have a 4kWp installed and you want to add more panels with a new invertor (in order to keep you Fit from the existing system). Then either you cannot export anything from your new system or you need DNO approval and move to 3 phase. am I correct?

You will need DNO approval, but won't necessarily need to move to 3 phase. It depends on the local networks ability to cope with the maximum export from your existing and planned systems.

Just to update this thread, my install went live yesterday, I did pretty much all the DC work except running in the PV cables from the panels to the isolators which I'd previously fitted. Electricians did all the AC work, except for running the 25mm SWA to and from the house, and run in the PV cables mentioned above.

There's still some work to do, various items to finish off, and there will be another 14.5kWh battery added.

Battery-A-Complete.jpg
Inverter_Wired_In.jpg

That's on my list of to-do's - need to get it done soon as need to send it to the DNO

Just to update this thread, my install went live yesterday, I did pretty much all the DC work except running in the PV cables from the panels to the isolators which I'd previously fitted. Electricians did all the AC work, except for running the 25mm SWA to and from the house, and run in the PV cables mentioned above.

There's still some work to do, various items to finish off, and there will be another 14.5kWh battery added.

Battery-A-Complete.jpg
Inverter_Wired_In.jpg
That looks a nice tidy install, nice to have space available!

What BMS did you use?

I used the JK BMS, I tried to keep it as compact as possible, as space is in short supply, but obviously more than some have available.

I've drawn up my system schematic, is there anything left of that the DNO will require on there, or any problems anyone can see?

Attachments

• System Schematic.jpg
    System Schematic.jpg
    526 KB · Views: 3
Thank you @binky, I'm approved for the full export of the existing system (3.68kw) plus the new system of 8kw, making a total of 11.68kw.

Sitting very close to the substation on a housing estate has its benefits.