Advice Much Appreciated...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robdog731

Reaction score
Im looking to get back in to the trade after a 6 year gap. I got laid off 3 times in 8 months back in 2008 and struggled to find work. Ive been working in retail management ever since as ive been unable to find a job despite hundreds, literally hundreds of job applications!

I have 18 months site experience from my training and the following qualifications:

• [SIZE=12pt]City and Guilds 2360-06 Level 2[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]City and Guilds 2330-07 Level 3[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]City and Guilds 2382-10 Level 3 (17th Edition)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I also have experience of PAT testing, Fire alarm installations and working in schools all over the country. Im desperate to get back into the trade and ive been told by a neighbour that agency work may be the way to get back into the trade. Basically from this essay im looking for advice as to what im going to need to do to get back into the trade, ie CSCS and 17th edition amendments, and how to go about getting them sorted out quickly. Oh and if anyone knows of any firms willing to take on a semi qualified grafter then im all ears![/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Thanks in Advance[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Rob[/SIZE]

Get on your Bike!

Seriously!

Get a CSCS/ECS and your off...I'm constantly bombarded by agency texts desperate for people before this housing bubble bursts.

There is plenty of info on recent 17th amendments online but I wouldn't bother with a course until next year when they bring out a shiney new book :|

Duck has some good advice, there is plenty of available work but you have to actually go out and sort it yourself 

Thanks both,

I looked into CSCS/ECS cards last night and it mentioned something around details of previous employer in order to apply for the card? Is that right or have i read it wrong? If it does require that information before I can get a card, am I still able to use my previous firms details despite it no longer existing?

go online and book a basic CSCS

I needed one for a job on monday past,

I booked it last thursday and sat the exam on friday morning, [at a PREMIUM albeit]

just do the basic CSCS, it will allow agency to put you on site.

oh, one other thing,

ring HMRC and ask for a UTR number.

I booked it last thursday and sat the exam on friday morning, [at a PREMIUM albeit]

just do the basic CSCS, it will allow agency to put you on site.oh, one other thing,

Why do you need a UTR number?

Never needed one in 30+ years of work, why now?

if you do agency work or subby work they will rip you off without one,

especially agencies,

they will try and make you work under an 'umbrella' scheme [read, their parent company] who will take perhaps 30% of your money.

surely you need it to do your personal tax return?

if you do agency work or subby work they will rip you off without one,

especially agencies,

they will try and make you work under an 'umbrella' scheme [read, their parent company] who will take perhaps 30% of your money.

surely you need it to do your personal tax return?

Never been asked for one, and never will get one, can't see the point.

I'm PAYE already so why do I need another way of being taxed?

I don't do a personal tax return, I am PAYE & the company's accountant sorts out all the wages, and all the tax returns.

Never been asked for one, and never will get one, can't see the point.

I'm PAYE already so why do I need another way of being taxed?

I don't do a personal tax return, I am PAYE & the company's accountant sorts out all the wages, and all the tax returns.
ah, ok,

I suppose mine will change this year too then,

I'll let the accountant sort it out.

It's down to CIS really, & I don't "do" CIS works, I have been asked twice actually to be honest, now I think, sorry, once for maintenance work on a companies own premises, just because it was electrical, they assumed it would be under CIS & they were CIS registered.

A quick link to the HMRC website by email sorted that.

The other time was when I did some maintenance work on a property for a contractor, and they wanted a number, again a quick email to an HMRC link sorted that as well.

i have a UTR number from a few years ago (well, my company does). never used it since, all my work is either R&M / other exempt work, or its directly for client. been asked a few times, but just pointed out that it is not under CIS

just do the basic CSCS, it will allow agency to put you on site.

oh, one other thing,

Steptoe,

Ive just called the JIB to ask for clarity as to whether Im eligible for an ECS card with my qualifications and I was simply told to book a Health and safety test as I dont have it as part of my C&G qualifications. Great Help...

Looks like a trawl on ebay for an operatives revision book. Having a UTR number, does that mean im technically self employed 'subbying' to the agency?

dont waste your money on the revision book,

its a 45minute exam that will waste 10minutes of your life,,,  :|

I nearly cried, I got one wrong out of 50,  :(

took me longer to check into the exam centre than to take the actual exam.

yes, if you dont have a UTR number they will make you work under an umbrella company,

basically the agency will take even more of a cut from your money.

Oddly enough I prefer the CIS method, saves on me having to find a large sum of money for Hmrc at end of year.

Horses for courses I guess :)
Get your tax return in early, just after April, and you will know how much tax is due by the end of May.

It doesn't have to be paid until 31st January, so 8 months to save up for it.  no nasty surprises.