Advice Needed

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Power Ball

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I installed a new 17th eddition CU over 3 weeks ago tested and working fine. I got a call from the lady of the house tonight to say her sockets keep going off....then she went on to say she has just had some new flooring laid in the kitchen and when she turns her electric cooker on, all the sockets go off and she thinks the men must have mooved the cooker while laying the new flooring.

Other than me inspecting for a loose conection or kinked/stretched cable from the cooker to outlet has anyone any suggstions before I go there to try and find the fault.

Thanks

Chas

hi pb. Is it just the sockets going off or the rcd tripping ?

Macca

Guiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink

Hi, Just think it's a bit odd that all was working OK for over 3 weeks then the minute she has new flooring in the kitchen this happens after the cooker has been pulled out and put back..?

Cheers

Guiness Drink

It is possible that they have damaged the cooker cable. Giving you a small neutral earth fault. then when she turns on cooker draws current/ imbalance kicks out rcd. She thinks its the sockets that are gone cos Micowave clock goes off etc etc..Its a possibility

Macca

Hi, Just think it's a bit odd that all was working OK for over 3 weeks then the minute she has new flooring in the kitchen this happens after the cooker has been pulled out and put back..?Cheers

Guiness Drink
cooker certainly sounds like a prime suspect?

most probably somewhere around the cooker to wall-plate connection.

maybe wire pulled loose... touching neutral & earth???

does it trip every time. immediately you turn the cooker on?

or is it only occasionally.

If every time it will be much easier to track & fix! ;)

Is the cooker via a switch with integral socket outlet?

if yes does plugging something in the cooker socket trip anything?

Try a ins res test @ 250v up cooker circuit see if any suss low reading is present?

may need to diss cable from back of cooker and do full ins res @500v to check cables not damaged?

thats all i can think of at the moment! :) ;)

Thank's for all your quick replies at least i will have plenty of scope when i go tomorrow.

Cheers

Chas Guiness Drink

Thank's for all your quick replies at least i will have plenty of scope when i go tomorrow.Cheers

Chas Guiness Drink
Best of luck M8!

you better stop drinkin that stuffGuiness Drink

if you want to think straight tho!!! :^O :^O:^O

I would always put cooker on an RCBO but it sounds like floor fitter has done something during installation.Batty
i never do unless the switch has a socket outlet on it.cookers prone to earth leakage

i never do unless the switch has a socket outlet on it.cookers prone to earth leakage
To comply with 17th edition unless cooker circuit is fed down an earthed conduit it will need 30mA Rcd protection. As for leakage currents this is why I would put it on a RCBO rather than through an RCD in split load consumer unit.

Batty

C'mon powerball. what was the problem.

We're all waiting to find out....

Macca

Thanks Guys

When the floor fitter had moved the cooker and shoved it back he had pushed in the metal box cover on the back of the cooker and both the L and N studs were shorting across this plate and tripping RCD.... just as well she had new CU fitted before the floor covering or she might have got a free curly hair do.!!

Thanks Again for all your help

Cheers

Chas

All it was, was a lump of flimsey tin in the shape of a box that covered the conections on the back of the cooker. Not very good at all.