Advice needed

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

switch10

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon all, just a couple of quick questions I’m hoping someone can help me out with

1. can air conditioning pipes be installed in a cable tray that is used for electrical circuits? I have installed a cable tray system and installed electrics and air con company have come in and installed there pipes in the tray now there is no separation between them as the trays were allready full .

if not allowed can you give me a reg number as looked through regs and can’t find an answer .

2. can a plastic water pipe be tied to the side of the same cable trays? Again the plumber has installed this directly to the side of the trays and I’m concerned if there was a leak on t could cause damage to cables.

again if against the regs could someone point me in the correct reg number .

At present I’m reluctant to issue electrical cert until I can find if acceptable or not 

Agree on 528.3 applying but unless it's an un-grounded metal pipe in 'your' tray I don't think, in normal use, that it's a clear breach.    If it was in a conduit you could argue any heating and cooling will throw out your cable calculations and choices, probably less so here, and hopefully your cables are reasonably water resistant
If you have unsealed connections in the trays you could argue condensation might now occur which perhaps a bigger issue

Otherwise It depends on how you are feeling really : 

Just accept this stuff happens all the time on site, add note to the certificate saying that this was not agreed or considered in your design and may have the potential to impact future safety /serviceability of the installation  
or
Tell them your design and installation has been changed after your inspection, tests and measurements were completed  and they should now seek a certificate from the AirCon company

Popcorn at the ready 😎

Good afternoon all, just a couple of quick questions I’m hoping someone can help me out with

1. can air conditioning pipes be installed in a cable tray that is used for electrical circuits? I have installed a cable tray system and installed electrics and air con company have come in and installed there pipes in the tray now there is no separation between them as the trays were allready full .

2. can a plastic water pipe be tied to the side of the same cable trays? Again the plumber has installed this directly to the side of the trays and I’m concerned if there was a leak on t could cause damage to cables.

I suspect the plastic pipe is just a condensation drain from the aircon unts, that wouldn't worry me. The aircon pipes are different matter, one side can get  hot and the other cold, so that will have a thermal effect on your cabling, espcially if they havn't been lagged.

The plastic pipe is a hep pipe running cold water supply to a hand wash basin .

not sure if air con pipes have been lagged I’m hoping to get access to the unit this week to have a look as have a couple of connections to make and then customer wants the installation certificate 

The air con pipes should be lagged as a matter of course, not sure how much if any heat will get through the lagging, I’ve not noticed it to be so on any that I have worked around.