Advice on Meter Tails

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Power Ball

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I went to look at a small job today and the owner told me that the elec board were due to change this meter in his mums house she is over 80 years old, but when they arrived they refused to do it because the tails from the meter to one of the 3 CU's were rubber coated. I have had a look and there is two pair of tails from the bottom of the meter and both sets of two are no bigger than 1.5mm pvc three core flex 1 pair pair painted over and the other pair are black rubber coated.

The three cu's are all old 3 way 2 way 1 way all linked back to the meter individually, one of which is 2.5 T&E. I told the guy he really needs to upgrade to a new 17th edittion box but just wants the tails replacing.

To do this i will need the board to come and remove the seals so i can work, what is the process to get them to come out, how long and how much will they charge and do they hang around while you do the job. In the past I have found these seals broken when I have got there but these are brand new as the board have replaced when they came to do the job...

Any help please and advice

Thanks

Chas

Thanks Spark Doctor, I will still need to be in under the meter to connect in to with the new meter tails. as you know there is a brown bakelite cover over the conector terminals which has a seal on it.

Just had a thought Spark Doctor.... do they fit the isolator between the meter and CU or between Main fuse and meter ?? if it is between the meter and the CU I will be OK...... sorry not thinking !!!

Just had a thought Spark Doctor.... do they fit the isolator between the meter and CU or between Main fuse and meter ?? if it is between the meter and the CU I will be OK...... sorry not thinking !!!
When i am asked to fit a isolator, i will look at the tails and if they need replacing, i will replace them up to the isolator as that is where the DNO's/electric suppliers responsibility ends. Quite often the customer will ask me to replace the tails into the CU for a drink Guiness DrinkGuiness Drink

So you will have new tails from the service head to the meter and from the meter to the isolator, you can then replace the tails from the isolator to the CU

The isolator is fitted between the meter and the CU.

Thanks for you help. If you had 3 CU's would you wire in series or all three back to the isolator with there own tails if room or from isolator to a henley block and conect them in there ?

Thanks for you help. If you had 3 CU's would you wire in series or all three back to the isolator with there own tails if room or from isolator to a Henley block and connect them in there ?
I would be a bit worried about 3 CU's on 1 fuse (depending on the load). As a general rule, you should not hang more than 2 CU's off 1 fuse.

If there is more than 1 CU, i put Henley blocks after the isolator.

Thank You. Just been intouch with the board who say they can not fit a DP Isolator untill the owner of the house writes to them and sends a cheque for

Are you a Cable Jointer for a DNO, Spark-Doctor? Or have I completely mis-read a post, above?

Appologies, in advance if I have.

Are you a Cable Jointer for a DNO, Spark-Doctor? Or have I completely mis-read a post, above?Appologies, in advance if I have.
I am a licensed meter installer and HV cable jointer as well as a spark. I specialize in large installations

Edf charge to upgrade main fuses and even for quotes to do work although I think they refund the charge if you have the work done I think its like a deposit. I normally do the work myself if I can.

Batty

Edf charge to upgrade main fuses and even for quotes to do work although I think they refund the charge if you have the work done I think its like a deposit. I normally do the work myself if I can.Batty
What area is that Batty? I installed a isolator and uprated the fuse for a EDF customer last week and they were not charged. I know that the DNO's will charge for everything but the suppliers generaly do not.

What area is that Batty? I installed a isolator and uprated the fuse for a EDF customer last week and they were not charged. I know that the DNO's will charge for everything but the suppliers generaly do not.
I am in the Bucks area.

Batty

DONT CONTACT THE DNO, Contact the people who supplier you electric ie NPower, SSE, virgin ect ectExplain that work is being carried out on the installation and you need to be able to isolate
I have been in touch with the supplier who is British Gas and they are the ones who want paying for the work, however, they are the ones who are refusing to change the meter because of the rubber coated tails from the meter.

If they wont change the meter I guess they wont fit a DP Isolator switch for the same reason they will have to disconnect these tails to connect the DP switch...Stalemate !!