Advice on Napit/NIC etc

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave2k8

Reaction score
Didnt get much help on the iET forum so thought i would try there.

Im currently in the process of getting my quals. I've been working as a mate for a few years now and i've done 3 years at night school doing the c&g 2330. I did the part-p in 2005 and hope to do my 17th before or soon after xmas. and then move onto full inspec and test after that.

Im going self employed very soon (jobs going at firm im with due to cut backs) and looking to join a scheme. Whats best to go with napit or nic? also what can i join as with my current quals?

I have done jobs for family and such that i can show for my assesment. Fully inspected and tested and certs filled in.

many thanks

Dave

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the forum.

The minimum quals that you need to join a Part P Provider is the 2382 (2381) and the 2391.

With regards to the "Which is the best scheme" there are 3 of them. But only you can decide which one you want.

The NICEIC are the best known and, unfortunately - are the ones requested by local authorities and insurance companies etc.

Hi Dave,Welcome to the forum.

The minimum quals that you need to join a Part P Provider is the 2382 (2381) and the 2391.

With regards to the "Which is the best scheme" there are 3 of them. But only you can decide which one you want.

The NICEIC are the best known and, unfortunately - are the ones requested by local authorities and insurance companies etc.
I may be wrong admin but i dont think you have to have the 2391 but if you do thats a bonus;)

But you'd probably have to do it through their scheme then though - No doubt. :eek:

But you'd probably have to do it through their scheme then though - No doubt. :eek:
No i dont think so ,i have some mates who are scheme members who do not have it.

Although you must prove competant inspection and testing at your assesment.

Forgot my manners welcome Dave. :D :D

Didnt get much help on the iET forum so thought i would try there.Im currently in the process of getting my quals. I've been working as a mate for a few years now and i've done 3 years at night school doing the c&g 2330. I did the part-p in 2005 and hope to do my 17th before or soon after xmas. and then move onto full inspec and test after that.

Im going self employed very soon (jobs going at firm im with due to cut backs) and looking to join a scheme. Whats best to go with napit or nic? also what can i join as with my current quals?

I have done jobs for family and such that i can show for my assesment. Fully inspected and tested and certs filled in.

many thanks

Dave
Welcome Dave2k8....

you better go and say 40 hail Mary's Pray for saying things like "iET forum" phtt!! :eek:

before we tell you to s0d off!!! :p ] :) :^O

nope! sorry grab one of KME's beers Guiness Drink

and I am sure thems wot can will all try and help with a bit of guidance and useful tips etc...

first of all..

Asking a question which one is best is bit like asking which is the best beer??Guiness Drink

Answers & preferences will go on forever! :eek:

But.. I think info for the various bodies can be found on the following websites:-

http://www.niceic.org.uk/

from their web site you can get to a guide to enrolment PDF...

http://www.niceic.org.uk/nroot/niceic/pdfs/Guide.pdf

which page 6 covers the qualifications side of things..

there is also Napit

http://www.napit.org.uk/

Elecsa

http://www.elecsa.org.uk/

BRE certification

http://www.partp.co.uk/

I assume each of the others will have their enrolment criteria somewhere...

if not.. contact them & ask for details..

as it will probably be worth checking the requirements of each one see what is best or you?

As well as qualifications you do need:

copy of the Regs

Approved document P {can be a downloaded document}

Electricity @ work regs

A calibrated meter, with a procedure for interim accuracy checking.

Complaints procedure.

Health & safety policy.

probably something else I've forgot...

but someone else will remind later!

;) :)
Yes, A shed full of money to join. :_|

Hi Dave,Welcome to the forum.

Hi ADMIN &DAVE

Please dont get caught up in the trap as above!!

It is illegal under the European Procurement Legislation to state NICEIC as being the only acceptable approved body when there are other equal or approved bodies around.If anyone finds this wording in a spec or is verbally informed by whoever ,then go to your scheme provider and get them to question the reasons for this I promise you that any L/A will soon change there tune,as they did when NACOSS where only accepted when there were other alarm inspectorate bodies around some years ago,that goes for the insurance companies as well !!!(by jove I feel much better for that) :D

I quite agree Grumpy.

The sooner insurance companies and councils etc realise there are more than one Part P provider out there - The better!

I thought there were 5 scheme providers. I am under British Standards for mine. Not one of the biggest but they only take electricians not kitchen fitters etc. They are not the cheapest either, but as we work to British standard this is why i joined them. Here is a link to there website if anybody is interested. http://www.bsi-global.com/en/ProductServices/Electrical/Electrical-installers/Part-P-information/Batty
Have they changed their web site address...

I did have a link I was going to add to my earlier post....

but it didn't work:_|

so I left that out cuz I couldn't find a new one quickly!

Thanks for updating that bit of info Batty! ; )Applaud Smiley

Thank you Batty, There's is no favoritism on here, :)

Not sure if they have changed there website address. I know there were probs getting onto there website.Batty
thats was proabably it then..... cuz I HAD probs!!! :_| :_| :_|

but I agree with your earlier point ..

I have always thought there were 5 part-p scheme providers! ;) :D

I believe that "corgi" is actually a scam provider now..............

And, to clarify: 2391 is NOT a requirement for registration under a part P scheme.

(Sorry admin. Your post was complete & utter :S)Applaud SmileyApplaud SmileyApplaud Smiley] :)

Guiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink Please note. I am drinking MY Guinness . Until people ask before handing it out willy-nilly, I with eat all the "scoobs" myself!!! ]:) :^O :^O:^O:^O:^O (ssab-take note.)

Thank you Batty, There's is no favoritism on here,
Oh but there is...

You know that YOU are our favorite admin!!!!

:x :xBlushingBlushingApplaud SmileyApplaud Smiley