ADVICE REGARDING CENTRAL HEATING SYSTEM

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sammysandwch

Reaction score
HI

I HAVE A HONEYWELL BOILER THAT OUR LANDLORD FITTED TO THE EXISTING CENTRAL HEATING SYSTEM 

WE HAVE TO CONSTANTLY BLEED THE RADIATORS, BUT ALSO THE SYSTEM WORKS ON A HEAT RADIATORS, HOT WATER TANK  FOR WATER IN TAPS AND FOR THE BATH.

ABOUT JUNE LAST YEAR, THE HOT WATER TANK NO LONGER GETS HOT SO WEVE HAD NO HOT WATER, WE HAVENT CONTACTED THE LANDLORD AS EVERY TIME WE DO HE PUTS THE RENT UP IF WE HAVE A PROBLEM.

I WONDER IF ANYONE COULD GIVE ME ANY ADVICE ON THIS PROBLEM 

THANK YOU SO MUCH

Maybe consider getting a plumber in at your cost .............. if your landlord is such a scumbag who puts up the rent to cover the cost of repairs  , don't involve him/her

Cut the caps lock to start with, considered disrespectful potful (shouting) and makes for uncomfortable reading. 

What was in prior to Honeywell boiler? 

Is the hot water heated via an immersion element? 

June last year is nearly 1 and 1/2 years, without hot water. 

You say Honeywell boiler, but as far as I know, Honeywell only do controls. What boiler is it exactly? Electric/gas?

Having to constantly bleed the radiators suggests there is heavy corrosion in the system. Be careful, the gas coming out might be hydrogen, which is explosive. If you remember your chemistry, hold a beaker upside down over the bleed key when bleeding. Shut off the valve, then use a lighted splint, you get a sqeaky pop. Away from curtains though.

Do not do it this way 

Last edited by a moderator:
Your landlord can NOT put up the rent because you have asked him to repair something that is faulty.

If he is really that bad, I would seek a new landlord. i.e. MOVE.

If it is hydrogen, the system is completely sludged up and would possibly explain why HW is not working.

The system will need cleaning out and inhibitor added. This process could uncover pinholes in the radiators and this would mean replacement.

The landlord would be at fault because he/she has not maintained the system. However you would also be at fault for not telling the landlord about the problem a lot earlier, thereby allowing the problem to get worse, and possibly requiring replacement of all radiators. A lesson to be learnt here.

The landlord has a legal responsibility to ensure essential services are all functional within properties they let. Hot water for basic hygiene is one of them. If they fail to do their duty either get out or start legal proceedings against them for neglect of their duties. There is insufficient information given about your heating problem for anyone to give much practical advice at this stage.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/housing/renting-privately/during-your-tenancy/going-to-court-if-your-landlord-wont-do-repairs/

Doc H.