Advise how to get into electrical trade

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deano93

Reaction score
Hi guys , bit stuck here. I'm training to become a fully qualified electrician through a company called train 4 jobs . It's one of those study at home courses and I go away to do my training and exams / practical. Currently working in a kitchen in a care home (which is no help to my career) but I need to start getting some electrical experience.i really need to get myself in a jon that is going to help me on my course. But I have no experience and seems every job like electrical mates / improver want experience. How am I meant to get experience if it isn't offered to me . Does anyone have any suggestions how I could go about this . Really struggling with my course learning all I am without getting experience from actually doing stuff. I don't really have a lot of confidence in the stuff I'm learning because my full time job is completely different.  Financially I'm tied to my job because I have a lot of bills . Any idears or advice please

thanks 

Dean 

I know its easy for me to say but get a job doing something else, you wont make a fortune as a spark, there is a lot of hard graft and the older you get the worse it becomes.

Also as you are finding out a lot of "correspondence companies" make money.............for them selves, they are not interested in you at all.

you would be better off doing course at local tech college if you can fit it in around your work?

There's no easy answer to your dilemna, a 'paper' sparky is of little interest to any employer, the hands on side is invaluable, but getting that whilst keeping a roof over your head is going to very difficult and will no doubt involve working for a ****e company. Your best bet would be to make friends with a self employed spark who wants a labourer on na ad hoc basis. Hopefully you may be able to expand on that with his sparky mates.

Hi guys , bit stuck here. I'm training to become a fully qualified electrician through a company called train 4 jobs . It's one of those study at home courses and I go away to do my training and exams / practical. Currently working in a kitchen in a care home (which is no help to my career) but I need to start getting some electrical experience.i really need to get myself in a jon that is going to help me on my course. But I have no experience and seems every job like electrical mates / improver want experience. How am I meant to get experience if it isn't offered to me . Does anyone have any suggestions how I could go about this . Really struggling with my course learning all I am without getting experience from actually doing stuff. I don't really have a lot of confidence in the stuff I'm learning because my full time job is completely different.  Financially I'm tied to my job because I have a lot of bills . Any idears or advice please

thanks 

Dean 

Unfortunately you appear to be learning the hard way the difference between the reality of how the world of employment works and the fairy-tale train to be any profession you want in a high earning job while learning in the comfort of your own home scenario.  As has been said on this forum numerous times, why would any employer pay a semi skilled worker who will cost them money to train up to a sufficient level, when they can for a very similar price employ an experience qualified person who only needs a bit of general guidance on the basic company procedures and methods before being let out to work unsupervised earning the company some more money?

Thousands of people do general DIY or hobby interest night/on-line courses as a boost to their own confidence or as a personal challenge, or to assist them with DIY projects at home, such as; Painting, Sewing & Quilting, Flower arranging, Woodwork, Furniture restoring, Gardening, Brick laying, Plumbing or Electrical skills, Car maintenance, Computer games development, Bookkeeping etc, In my opinion the type of course you are enrolled on, is a basic home/personal interest/DIY course,  I am not convinced many employers would recognise any of your skills or qualifications as a significant benefit to their business to make it worth their while employing you.

I can only wish you well in your search and I will be delighted if sometime in the future you can post back on here that you have actually made the jump and have secured a job within the electrical trade. The only way to get into any trade has not actually changed much at all. First you need to establish what vacancies are in your area, then suss out what qualifications they require, if you are close to meeting those requirements then apply fore the job. Or get you name on an agency, Or start up your own business, Or you just happen to know someone  through a friend or family member who can offer you a cushy job with no effort.

Doc H.