Ageing solar panels; Should I be concerned?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My panels are about nine years old. I've noticed that a proportion of them have developed visible irregular lines which seem to cross some of the "cells". I don't have sophisticated instrumentation and as far as I can tell the system is still working fine. Are these lines a known occurrence? Are they harmful or life-limiting to the panel?

IMG_0839.JPGIMG_0821.JPG

They are known as snail trails. There's some debate as to if they are an issue or not. Your panels should be under the 10year warranty, complain before that runs out and see what they say.

Thanks Binky. Snail trails sounds an appropriate name for them. Not heard of it before.
Unfortunately the local, (and perfectly reputable) company who did my installation subsequently abandoned the solar business. Hence I fear that trying to pursue a warranty claim could be difficult, especially as the system still works OK.
I will dig out my documentation though and see what it says.

Thanks Binky. Snail trails sounds an appropriate name for them. Not heard of it before.
Unfortunately the local, (and perfectly reputable) company who did my installation subsequently abandoned the solar business. Hence I fear that trying to pursue a warranty claim could be difficult, especially as the system still works OK.
I will dig out my documentation though and see what it says.
Warranty is with the panel manufacturers