Ah the romance of the open road and the Travelling People.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On Easter Friday we were blessed by the arrival of the Travelling People to a local park , only 50 vans which was a shame , how we wished there were more .

Good fortune shone down upon them when they found the height restrictor steel gate had been vandalised and left open  so with the  need to rest their weary souls they drove across the the cricket pitches and set up camp .

The wicked  boys in blue served an order to depart upon our ethnic friends from across the water   but deep joy , we were blessed for another four days . After their departure someone must have visited the site and dumped a load of Calor Gas cylinders.... mattresses , beds , sofas, chairs , cardboard boxes , a load of flat screen TV sets , strangely just the outer casings without any electronics inside them  , well they'll never work if they were sold will they?    

And then , thank Heaven our friends had left because , all along the stream that runs through the park , a huge gang of vandals must have spent four days defecating into the stream and leaving reams of soiled toilet paper across the site and in the stream itself.  

An estimate of the cost of cleaning up  to local taxpayers is a mere £30,000  .... hopefully they will call again and bless us with their travelling culture  & quaint way of life .  Hhnmmm  reminds me ...must go and pay this month's Council Tax  ....Birmingham is a bit short this month.     

Perhaps they are wending their merry way to your neck of the woods ,  perhaps you could clear some land for them .   Now then ...must go and count the wheels on the car .

Last edited by a moderator:
I was looking for a 47Kg calor cylinder recently. Calor want £60 for the cylinder hire. So can I have one of them please (if you can deliver it)

https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/info/20218/equality_and_diversity/698/gypsies_roma_and_travellers 

Like other minority ethnic groups Gypsy, Roma and Traveller communities have their own languages, traditions and customs that guide their way of life and they are passed on through the generations. Within all groups cultural values are strong with emphasis on the extended family supporting each other.

It is important to recognise that there can be significant cultural and practical differences between the different groups. The main groups are:

Romany Gypsies - people who are thought to have originally migrated from India and arrived in the UK around the 16th Century. Romany is the word that Gypsy people in England and Wales apply to themselves hence the term Romany Gypsy. 

Scottish Gypsy Travellers – people recognised as a separate ethnic group in Scotland who have much in common with other travellers.

Irish Travellers - a distinct group of people within the Irish community going back over a thousand years.  

Roma - the word Roma is used as a catch-all term for European ‘Gypsies’. There are several distinct groups of people who have come from Central and Eastern Europe.

Show People - families with a tradition of living and working in travelling fairgrounds are covered under this heading that also includes people working in circuses.

:slap

This is on Irish television right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/info/20218/equality_and_diversity/698/gypsies_roma_and_travellers 

Like other minority ethnic groups Gypsy, Roma and Traveller communities have their own languages, traditions and customs that guide their way of life and they are passed on through the generations. Within all groups cultural values are strong with emphasis on the extended family supporting each other.

It is important to recognise that there can be significant cultural and practical differences between the different groups. The main groups are:

Romany Gypsies - people who are thought to have originally migrated from India and arrived in the UK around the 16th Century. Romany is the word that Gypsy people in England and Wales apply to themselves hence the term Romany Gypsy. 

Scottish Gypsy Travellers – people recognised as a separate ethnic group in Scotland who have much in common with other travellers.

Irish Travellers - a distinct group of people within the Irish community going back over a thousand years.  

Roma - the word Roma is used as a catch-all term for European ‘Gypsies’. There are several distinct groups of people who have come from Central and Eastern Europe.

Show People - families with a tradition of living and working in travelling fairgrounds are covered under this heading that also includes people working in circuses.

:slap
This is from the same Birmingham Council who decreed that when contracting to the Council , one third of your workforce shall come from certain inner city areas as shown shaded on the attached map .  This was a stipulation in the specifications sent out to contractors such as us .    The areas refered to were the ones with high levels of  immigrant population such as Asian & West Indian .

The first time we came upon we couldn't meet the criteria without getting rid of an existing employee and posting an advertisment for an Approved Electrician , must live in one of the following areas of Birmingham .  Thus discriminating against half of the city ...the rest of Britain ...and in fact discriminating against the whole world .

We then realised that being a smallish job we would put only two sparks on it ...who couldn't be divided into thirds .  

This is from the same Birmingham Council who decreed that when contracting to the Council , one third of your workforce shall come from certain inner city areas as shown shaded on the attached map .  This was a stipulation in the specifications sent out to contractors such as us .    The areas refered to were the ones with high levels of  immigrant population such as Asian & West Indian .

The first time we came upon we couldn't meet the criteria without getting rid of an existing employee and posting an advertisment for an Approved Electrician , must live in one of the following areas of Birmingham .  Thus discriminating against half of the city ...the rest of Britain ...and in fact discriminating against the whole world .

We then realised that being a smallish job we would put only two sparks on it ...who couldn't be divided into thirds .  
It's like something Dianne Abbott would come out with. Would those communities even be orientated towards a trade, or would it be more likely to see them in telephone accessories shops and taxi driving etc.

You hit the nail on the head there Rapparound ...... the big building contractors got peed off with all the left wing , we're all equal carp .  As you say  they couldn't  get the staff.    I remember them needing skilled workers in marble etc  .    I think a quiet word was passed and the , then PM Mrs Thatcher informed the Council that they could not impose such stuff on building tenders .

I do wish I'd kept one of the specs as they were unbelievable.

This traveller thing is nothing to do with racism or their chosen way of life.  It's abut them being a bloody nuisance, having no regard for others property, and leaving such a bloody mess when they move on.

The fairground travelling folk are completely different. they will stop for a few nights en-route to their next show, and when they move on, you would never even know they have been their, no mess, no damage. Nobody complains or hates them.

When I was on holiday in Ireland many years ago, we saw proper Irish travellers. Again when they moved on there was no mess left behind and they kept their camp nice and tidy.

What people complain about is those as in the OP. They cause damage to the land, and leave loads of rubbish ans Sh1t literally) behind them and leave someone else to pick up the bill.  Why can't they just realsise if they were just a little more responsible and cleaned up after them before moving on, that people would leave them alone to live their chosen lifestyle? 

I'm fed up with the lot of them, and I don't just mean travellers!, there's quite a few living near me, some on official sites, some in houses, and some who've bought 2 pieces of land and set up their own camps, apparently they don't need planning permission! Well I know they ain't  got any and the council haven't been rushing round to fine them. Sunday is my day for wandering round my local car boot sale, it's my only form of relaxation, not any more, yesterday there were more eastern Europeans than English, wandering round. They all speak their own language, they're bloody rude.,and generally a pita. For the first time since I finished my therapy for PTSD, I really felt like hurting someone, the final straw came when one made a grab for something my wife was looking at, he suddenly changed his mind though, it would seem a growling snarling bloke means the same in any language! we left shortly after with me effing and blinding about how there's too many off them and they ought to start speaking English.