AICO Fire Alarm Break Glass -call points

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

Installed a fire alarm system in a new premises using the AICO units, all manual call points were installed/wired into flush back boxes, as I have done since the days of AFA and Gents to KAC.

On final fix found there is no way to flush mount the Aico MCP401RC call point, and as it is next to an exit door and the walls are plastered and painted hit a problem.

Customer wants unit flush, as planned, but Aico say not possible, with quite confusing information,

Unit need to be surface mounted to access reset key and clip holding from in place using key. They would not say what the connections do, Earth, N, IC, L So I assume this is earth, Neutral, interconnect, and live. They state the IC is about 7 volts? so cannot use a relay or anything else if used another make of call point.

Have I missed something in new regs, do they have to be surface now? or has anyone got a suggestion for getting a flush call pointed fitted on an AICO system, seems like R&D at Aico need to look at this.

CALL POINT (2).jpg

The Regulations state if the manual call point is not immediately obvious or if it is approached from side on such as in a corridor it should be surface mounted or flush is permitted if it is partially flush, there should be a minimum of 15mm exposed from the surface level.
I am somewhat surprised the ones you have cannot be fitted both ways although I don't have experience of them.
Edit: My comments apply to Part 1 systems but seeing Aico is it Part 6, from that drawing it is.