Alternatives/options? Heeeellllppppp!!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcdman

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm scratching my head here, suffering some serious brain fade trying to figure this one out.

A "new" neighbour has asked me to look at providing power to a new shed, some 15 yds away from the house at the end of the garden, to house her tumble drier (2.6KW) and freezer (800W). Since they moved in a year ago, the house has been newly decorated and has had a posh real wood floor fitted to the entire ground floor. Being an old-mid-terrace/town house there is a building on either side. It was "rewired" before they moved in (so about 18 months ago) and has nice split load CU in with 3 spare breakers.

Now the problem. The CU is at the front of the house! Can't get under the floor (****** all crawl space anyway), no cellar (obviously) can't lift any boards (means lifting the real wood floor first- apparently her 'kin pride and joy!!). Can't go outside, down either side, as there is a house in the way. So how the fluk do I get my SWA from the front of the house to the back??

Any thoughts guys? There is a DSO in the rear wall so the downstairs ring is kind of accessible - any options to spur off that? I thought no originally but the kitchen has it's own separate circuit and I could only find 3 DSOs on the downstairs ring (even though it has a 32A breaker in the box).

BTW, The lady of the house assumed I could drill a hole through the back wall (in the lounge), bury some T&E the length of the garden and plug it into the nearest socket :eek:

With apache up the front of the house into the loft, across loft space then down the rear of the house.

would agree with the magic vet and shooter boy.by the way,

what is the earth situation? TT/TNS/TNCS etc ?
Haven't read the OP, BUT - Tell him it is TN-C-S (PME) and you are going export it.

Go on, I dare ya. ]:)

:^O

Thanks fellas, it's TN-S !

Forgot to mention, they have a loft conversion too and (would you believe it) laminate flooring up there!! Walls plastered to floor & no eaves space access (not that there is much by way of eaves space anyway).

Any other thoughts?

{ I said it was a stinker didn't I! The lads down the pub said I should ask a kid, seeing as they seem to know it all nowadays :^O }

easy answer to get out of this and still be safe and easily able to carry over 13A a FCU will allow.

surface mounted DIN rail enclosure below worktop(is it in the kitchen) or otherwise hidden, containing 30mA DP 20A RCBO to 4mm SWA to shed, spurred off ring socket that is easily accessible.

then at shed either FCU for a light if required and to a double socket for appliances.

any thoughts?

:)

I hear what you're saying Steptoe, and liking what I'm hearing mate! Figured I could utilise the downstairs ringfinal somehow seeing as it is loaded so lightly.

The gear that will be plugged in, in the shed, is currently plugged in to the only DSO in the dining room. 1 in there and 2 in the living room. All kitchen sockets & FCU are on a separate circuit with it's own 32A MCB and cooker circuit separate on it's own 32A MCB, so there's lots of "spare" (on the ringfinal) by anyones maths - none of those are loading the ringfinal.

Forgive my intrusion (especially as I've nothing sensible to add!) and ignorance but am I right in guessing the DSO is "double socket outlet"?

The electric to our shed/workshop/office comes from our kitchen, from an unused electric cooker point?? out through the wall, cables buried underground to the shed and erm...

you'll have to ask admin to fill in the rest as i've not got a clue.

Forgive my intrusion (especially as I've nothing sensible to add!) and ignorance but am I right in guessing the DSO is "double socket outlet"?
Oh yessssssss. ;)

The electric to our shed/workshop/office comes from our kitchen, from an unused electric cooker point?? out through the wall, cables buried underground to the shed and erm...you'll have to ask admin to fill in the rest as i've not got a clue.
The Cooker switch is now the Isolator for the 3 core 6mm

The electric to our shed/workshop/office comes from our kitchen, from a used electric cooker point?? out through the wall, twin and earth cables buried underground to the shed and erm...you'll have to ask admin to fill in the rest as i've not got a clue.
tut tut admin AND admin2 using twin and earth UNDERGROUND indeed :eek: :_| :_| and also using a used cooker point as well. :_| :_| :_| :_|

:^O :^O :^O

tut tut admin AND admin2 using twin and earth UNDERGROUND indeed :eek: :_| :_| and also using a used cooker point as well. :_| :_| :_| :_| :^O :^O :^O
Oh do behave Badge, stop editing my posts. X(

:p

In an ideal world seperate buildings come off seperate circuit. Is there any way you could run cable under kitchen units, have done this on a few jobs but as steps has said it may have to be run off an existing circuit. The other alternative is to try and fish rods under the floor maybe an option.

Batty

You could do like Sky installers and drill a hole in the nearest door/window frame run the cable up ( making sure you use the opposite colour cable to the house finish), throw it over the roof, use 3 clips on the back and 2 on the front of the house to secure and then lash to the garden fence with anything stolen from the shed.

I'm not bitter.

In an ideal world separate buildings come off separate circuit. Is there any way you could run cable under kitchen units, have done this on a few jobs but as steps has said it may have to be run off an existing circuit. The other alternative is to try and fish rods under the floor maybe an option.Batty
Cheers, but Kitchen isn't in the way! It's a galley kitchen, off the "front" of the dining room and made out of converted coal house & outside toilet. Front door is into dining room, galley kitchen to right, dining room to left - leading to living room and stair bottom with door to rear garden. The house has been "turned round" over the years (as has the whole row of 5) in that what was previously the "front" is now the back and what was the back (with coal house etc) is now the "front".

The CU is in dining room corner cupboard at front wall of house, so cable has to run length of dining room plus length of living room before it gets to rear wall. No crawl space under floor (not that there is any bloody access to it anyway!) and realwood floor (that can't be lifted) prevents lifting any boards.