Am I qualified??

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dv324

Reaction score
Hi everyone, my names Damian and I currently work in the industry in southend on sea. I have worked for an electrical company for the past 3 years and during this tim have gained levels 2&3 of the c&g 2330 qualification, the 17th edition wiring regs qualification (I think its the 2382?) and the 2391 test and inspect qualification.

After all of this I am still unsure whether or not i am fully qualified? if not, what else do I need to gain & what am I qualified to undertake at the moment.

Also which is the best governing body to join? and how do I go about it?

All of the information I have tried to gather seems to send me in circles, so any advise or help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

D.

Hi everyone, my names Damian and I currently work in the industry in southend on sea. I have worked for an electrical company for the past 3 years and during this tim have gained levels 2&3 of the c&g 2330 qualification, the 17th edition wiring regs qualification (I think its the 2382?) and the 2391 test and inspect qualification. After all of this I am still unsure whether or not i am fully qualified? if not, what else do I need to gain & what am I qualified to undertake at the moment.

Also which is the best governing body to join? and how do I go about it?

All of the information I have tried to gather seems to send me in circles, so any advise or help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

D.
Hi mate . Although you have not done an apprenticeship I would say that with your qualifications you are certainly competent in performing many tasks and qualified enough to do the job to BS 7671 .
default_good%20luck.gif

Certainly, don't be fooled by the old boys club (JIB) who will make you think that unless you have AM2 etc that you are not qualified. It is all about competence ultimately.

agreed but without the am2 and nvq its all paper quals if u skip through college two years and your done without touching the tools.

if you believe all that is told then without an NVQ3 then you are NOT qualified,.

and dont believe the cirrus post about old boys clubs and AM2 , that is bull.

it depends a lot on if you can prove experience to ECS for a card.

I have no idea how long you have been at this, but can I assume a short time.?

if so then you may well require an NVQ3 in order to gain an ECS card for many sites.

it all depends on the work you wish to carry out.

but, ultimately, the law only requires you to be competent, which going by your qualifications you seem to be more than.

agreed but without the am2 and nvq its all paper quals if u skip through college two years and your done without touching the tools.
I have neither an NVQ3 or an AM2,

and although I have a 2382 and a 2391 along with various other PAPERS it seem I am still but an armchair spark.........

perhaps JIB/ECS have finally got their way and convinced people to give them a lot of money to prove they are competent.

BTW,

I never went to college either, unless you count the school of actually being on a site and life of learning.

if you believe all that is told then without an NVQ3 then you are NOT qualified,.and dont believe the cirrus post about old boys clubs and AM2 , that is bull.

it depends a lot on if you can prove experience to ECS for a card.

I have no idea how long you have been at this, but can I assume a short time.?

if so then you may well require an NVQ3 in order to gain an ECS card for many sites.

it all depends on the work you wish to carry out.

but, ultimately, the law only requires you to be competent, which going by your qualifications you seem to be more than.
Why is it 'bull'? I was simply stating that you ARE considered qualified without AM2 (NVQ3). Sure, some of the bigger sites want you to be JIB graded - which to be classed as a qualified spark means you need NVQ3 - but in reality, more and more sparks are moving away from the NVQ3 as it is just a money making ruse and not needed.

I have neither an NVQ3 or an AM2,and although I have a 2382 and a 2391 along with various other PAPERS it seem I am still but an armchair spark.........

perhaps JIB/ECS have finally got their way and convinced people to give them a lot of money to prove they are competent.

BTW,

I never went to college either, unless you count the school of actually being on a site and life of learning.
can u explain your point? what are you trying to say is the solution?

i dont consider a jib card expensive really.

Why is it 'bull'? I was simply stating that you ARE considered qualified without AM2 (NVQ3). Sure, some of the bigger sites want you to be JIB graded - which to be classed as a qualified spark means you need NVQ3 - but in reality, more and more sparks are moving away from the NVQ3 as it is just a money making ruse and not needed.
sorry Cirrus, that was worded rather badly,

what I meant was you CAN get JIB/ECS graded without either AM2 or NVQ3,

not a dig at you,

just my ****pooor way of trying to explain myself yet again.

can u explain your point? what are you trying to say is the solution? i dont consider a jib card expensive really.
it is if you have to undertake an NVQ3 and AM2 test,

Im currently in the midst of a major row with them (CSCS) as the rather 'nice' lady I had a meeting with told me point blank I wasnt an electrician,

I told her she better inform NICEIC that, as they are a fairly large standards body and they have assessed me as a QS as an Approved Contractor,

she left, I havent spoken to her since and I really dont want to either.

with the way the industry is going i dont think u can have a go at a organization for standing their ground with their entry requirements.

Yes it may be hard for yourself to get graded but it doesnt mean the system is wrong. My JIB card and the standards it represents is what seperates my four years at college from the five day wonders.

Just to agree with other posters basically about the JIB, they will not recognise as a elevtrician without NVQ3 and you be classed as graded trainee without one.

The last couple of months have been doing temp work for a couple of firms and have not encountered any probs with my quals. (17th and 2391) on my ECS card. The main they were interested in was my competence.

I have no knowledge of modern qualifications , so it appears that on paper you are qualified. The legality of it is" are you competent" .

But without wishing to offend you I don't see 3 years representing the experience required to take on Industrial and commercial work .

with the way the industry is going i dont think u can have a go at a organization for standing their ground with their entry requirements. Yes it may be hard for yourself to get graded but it doesnt mean the system is wrong. My JIB card and the standards it represents is what seperates my four years at college from the five day wonders.
Im personally not finding it hard to get graded,.

I dont care much for JIB, never have, not since they threatened me at the age of 17 with

"if you leave the United Kingdom now and dont finish this properly you will never be able to work as an Electrician anywhere in the modern world ever again"

how wrong they were,

I have my grading with NICEIC and I have my IOSH safety passport , so I dont need my CSCS/ECS/JIB card, just some firms prefer all the cards to be the same, but everywhere I have ever been accepts the IOSH as a higher H&S exam, and its valid mostly worldwide, unlike the cscs version which is only worth anything in the UK.

Certainly, don't be fooled by the old boys club (JIB) who will make you think that unless you have AM2 etc that you are not qualified. It is all about competence ultimately.
I phoned jib today and thay said i would need nvq lv3

Im personally not finding it hard to get graded,.I dont care much for JIB, never have, not since they threatened me at the age of 17 with

"if you leave the United Kingdom now and dont finish this properly you will never be able to work as an Electrician anywhere in the modern world ever again"

how wrong they were,

I have my grading with NICEIC and I have my IOSH safety passport , so I dont need my CSCS/ECS/JIB card, just some firms prefer all the cards to be the same, but everywhere I have ever been accepts the IOSH as a higher H&S exam, and its valid mostly worldwide, unlike the cscs version which is only worth anything in the UK.
what level is the IOSH i was thinking about the NEBOSH

all ready have a C&G level 2 to in health & safety

in the work which covers more than the ECS course

but jib said i would still hve to do the ECS

You are qualified, with the quals that you have got.

BUT - to be Fully Qualified, You will need to do the NVQ3 AND AM2 too.