Am2 Absolutely Peeved

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jws

Reaction score
Hi I am new to this forum and as you can see I am really annoyed with the am2 test. I recently resat A1 of the exam and just recieved another fail. The feedback sheet is rather small and basically says that in the db a neutral or cpc was connected to the wrong terminal, micc wasnt acceptably clipped or straight and I lost marks for the pipe as I didnt do it.

First of all I have a complaint because the pipe snapped in the bending machine as it was poor quality and the instructor wudnt give me a new bit. Fair enough I lost the marks on the pipe but i am preety sure from that apart i done everything correct even those faults stated above. The only thing I can think of from the top of my head is I may of connected an earth in the wrong terminal i.e. 1-1 instead of 2-1. Surely this woudnt class as a major fault would it?

Anyone got any advice on this as I am going to put a formal complaint I feel Ive been treated quite poorly on this one? In an ideal world I would want the decision overturned

Thanks in advance

J

Welcome to the forum JWS.

Sorry to hear of your result. :(

Cheers glad to be on here. So frustrating for this to happen and am not usually the type to get angry but this has done it for me. Ive heard of lots of people passing this who have made really bad mistakes and the fact i no for sure that what ive been marked down on is unbelieveable. Any help will go well posters.

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the AM2. :(

Hi I am new to this forum and as you can see I am really annoyed with the am2 test. I recently resat A1 of the exam and just recieved another fail. The feedback sheet is rather small and basically says that in the db a neutral or cpc was connected to the wrong terminal, micc wasnt acceptably clipped or straight and I lost marks for the pipe as I didnt do it. First of all I have a complaint because the pipe snapped in the bending machine as it was poor quality and the instructor wudnt give me a new bit. Fair enough I lost the marks on the pipe but i am preety sure from that apart i done everything correct even those faults stated above. The only thing I can think of from the top of my head is I may of connected an earth in the wrong terminal i.e. 1-1 instead of 2-1. Surely this woudnt class as a major fault would it?

Anyone got any advice on this as I am going to put a formal complaint I feel Ive been treated quite poorly on this one? In an ideal world I would want the decision overturned

Thanks in advance

J
where did the conduit snap? i dont use the stuff, so dont know much about it. iirc, if you didnt do it (like if you got it so badly wrong you had to use a pre-made piece) you just lost marks. although all added up may have been a fail. earth connection in wrong terminal, cant really see how this is a major fail, loose marks, but i would have thought that would be it

for the pyro, again, point may have been lost if it wasnt clipped properly. how many clips did you use? did you fail the same parts twice?

as for complaints, see here for some contact details - they should be able to get you the details of who to make complains to.

what did you fail the first test for?

I went to do the conduit in one piece and as i was bending it in the bending machine it snapped it was rubbish material. Due to the snap i couldnt complete it, i asked for another bit and the instructor told me to use a coupling which i didnt have the time to do it. The thing about the conections i am really not sure maybe i could of put a neutral or earth in the wrong numbered terminal but am pretty sure that doesnt merit a fail. I used quite a few clips for the pyro and i no that they were spaced equally, basically i got marked down on most of the pyro even though i didnt deserve it the bloody thing worked and it was fairly neat all sleeved correctly and so on. All of the job worked i learned from my mistakes of the previous fail (which i can admit i deserved). So basically i lost marks for the entire pipe, the presentation of the pyro and mixing a numbered terminal. I no of loads of people who have passed by doing an awfully lot more wrong than this but a wont go into it just feeling ive been marked down very harshly.

I am going to complain about the conduit especially because basically i wasnt give a fair crack at it when should it ever snap doing a 90 bend carefully unless poor materials.

Sorry about the rant am actually never the type to get angry but these tests arent cheap especially when i feel i am deserving of a pass.

Hello and welcome.

Simply - YOU HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE appealing!

Go for it. :D

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Cheers just wondering if anyone had a similar experience. Hopefully with a bit luck a might get it reviewed. I'll let you no how i get on I need my pay rise haha.

hi jws,

i have seen the conduit snap only twice in my time(a long time!) it was from a company that sells xmas lights at xmas- there is one on every street and it has three letters in the title.....

as to your marking it sounds really harsh, but of course you didnt put the cpcs in the neutral terminal:coat soory to ask but i have seen it done when under pressure..........

Hi jws

Welcome aboard the best forum by far ..Sorry to hear of your Am2 results . I have not done this myself as I have done 2330 lvl 2 and nearly finished lvl 3 . What did you think of the instruction you received ? how did the others do in the group ? . I remember bending some black enamel steel conduit and the paint flaked off it , so yes some of the material is questionable that is used lol . It does seem clear that you feel a bit cheated and if that is the case then your college should be able to assist you to hopefully put things right

keep us posted to how you get on

:)

JWS My conduit snapped on the outside of the bend in the machine. I insisted that it was manufacturer fault as have never seen it happen before. The examiner tried telling me that it was because I had it held in a vice whilst cutting it, which I said was rubbish as I always do it that way! I got a new piece tho...