AM2 test

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trimblejay

Reaction score
hello if any one knows a site that can help me learn to test id much appreciate it as i failed my AM2 test and have rebooked it but i no il fail again if i dont learn to do a test properly thanks

I would be keen to know more about the AM2 too, EVERYTHING there is to know.

Maybe someone can put a very informative thread together and add it to the Student & learningzone. If it is really good - I may "Sticky" it at the top. ;)

Hello Trimblejay...

I don't think people have been ignoring you...

more a case of not many have first hand experience of AM2..

(I think many of us more mature members had more traditional employer training/apprenticeships and have NEVER been involved with AM2)..

you appear to have got a similar response to some earlier threads, Such as..

http://www.talk.electricianforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=859

Or..

http://www.talk.electricianforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=310

If it is any help we could discuss some of the basic concepts of electrical testing....

but as to whether they are actually part of AM2 then I would just be guessing! ?:|

There are Two key approaches to testing electrical circuits..

1) When doing a new installation e.g. new build/rewire.

2) When adding to existing working live installation. additions/inspections.

Key differences are you obviously need to make a live installation safe before you undertake your tests and start poking your fingers in connections etc...

And isolate any equipment from the circuit which could cause errors to your readings or be damaged by your tests..

The sequences of some of the testing is different.. this is described in the wiring regs & On-Site-Guide.

Some differences can also be due to the type of meter or test equipment you are using..

Dead tests include

Continuity of conductors. (radial & rings)

Polarity.

Resistance of R1+R2.

Insulation Resistance test.

Live tests include

Earth Loop Impedance.

Prospective fault current.

RCD operating times @ full & 5x current.

We can discuss each of these tests on other posts if you want..

Do you know...

or can you tell us the sort of thing you were asked to do???

Do you have access to a test meter..

What part of the country are you in?

SL? :| ;)

sorry, I must be one of the more "mature" members,

Ive absolutely no knowledge of AM2 whatsoever, so if I say anything it would be even more rubbish than i usually spout!

thanks for your help people newly joined this site and with in a few days iv had so much help thanks again

thanks for your help people newly joined this site and with in a few days iv had so much help thanks again
Looks like you've used up your quota of help then!!! :eek:

you better clear off till December!!! :^O :^O:^O

No! in all seriousness...

Just fire away with anything at all..

We will all do our best at a reply..

even if it may be "I don't know" cuz NONE OF US know everything..

we are all learning..

Even those who may appear to be posting more & answering more than others...

STILL LEARNING new bits regularly through the various posts! ;) :)

No! in all seriousness...

Just fire away with anything at all..

We will all do our best at a reply..

even if it may be "I don't know" cuz NONE OF US know everything..

we are all learning..

Even those who may appear to be posting more & answering more than others...

STILL LEARNING new bits regularly through the various posts!
Specs you handsome ****** i have said it before and i will say it again, i like your style my good manApplaud SmileyApplaud Smiley;) :x :x:D:

can anyone help me i'm going for my am2 soon and i was just abit weiry of the testing. firstly on how to test polarity and prospective fault current and also if there are any rcd's and if there are how do ya get round the testing without the rcd keep tripping?

Hi rob 1st of all welcome to the forum, There are no rcd circuit on the build only the rcd socket which u will have to disconnect when u do a IR test on the sockets, U dont have to do a pfc test on the build only test are continuity, IR and ZS testing and rcd tests on the socket from wht i can remember and the polarity will be checked when u perform ur continuity tests hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi rob 1st of all welcome to the forum, There are no rcd circuit on the build only the rcd socket which u will have to disconnect when u do a IR test on the sockets, U dont have to do a pfc test on the build only test are continuity, IR and ZS testing from wht i can remember and the polarity will be checked when u perform ur continuity tests hope this helps.
^^ what he says

thanks alot sparky999 and andyc for your replys, there was one other thing aswell how do you test the motor ciruit never done any work at all with motors