AMD 2 - time to flex your credit cards?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stop moaning.

Not moaning, trying to have a constructive dialogue about something that is SO important, but because the way its written and the way its updated SO many people have had enough and then we wonder why sparks decide to use such different interpretations ..............

As for Sidewinders input - I'm VERY curious to hear who "controls" the way its written

If that is the case I would wager a rather large bet that the German version is written much clearer ............... so that's not an excuse the IET can hide behind
The technical intent is identical across Europe as the IEC document is filtered through CENELEC which we are also a member of.
BSI has as much control over 7671 as the IET, JPEL/64 is a Joint BSI & IET panel, the clue is in the J.
Standards language is common to many standards, & 7671 is no better or worse than any others.
The trick is to learn the language not make disparaging comments.
The courses are supposed to teach that, but most fail because they are only interested in getting candidates to pass an exam, not learning about the standard.
The course outcome isn't just about the exam, but it's been bastardised for profit to be all about the exam by the training industry.

The trick is to learn the language not make disparaging comments.

No disparaging comments made.

Just observations about an extremely important document that is clearly not fit for purpose in the 21st century. Teaching changes and pupils spend very little time reading between the lines, and hence we have a situation were seemingly few people are bothered to try and understand the regs and very few attempt CPD.

I did enjoy a recent E5 podcast (number 87 to be precise) where they reviewed the 1st edition of the regs and complemented it on its clarity and lack of ambiguity

Can you clearly explain why it is not fit for purpose highlighting all the areas which back up this statement.

JUst had my annual assessment today, assessor informs me AFDDs are to be made compulsory, so that's going to £1500 for a 10 way board, materials only!

Well, I think he’s wrong. It is my understanding that only some situations are mandated

That said I still think they aren’t required

I think the slippery slope into today's regs started when we had to fit wire mesh guards in front of Arc lights to stop the splatter hurting folk. HSE gone mad. I am going to an NICEIC Tech talk next month ...I may ask some questions😂...

And a select few on here know what happened last time that happened😉

Well, I think he’s wrong. It is my understanding that only some situations are mandated

That said I still think they aren’t required
What's more interesting is they don't work on ring mains. So will we be instructed to use radials only.

What's more interesting is they don't work on ring mains. So will we be instructed to use radials only.
Never heard that before. But to be fair I've started using radial circuits far more now than I ever did. Makes testing easier and quicker.

Only downside is larger consumer unit. But if there's space for it then no problem. Ring circuits should have gone years ago.

That we can only speculate on until we but the AMD 2

From what I hear the NICEIC / Elecsa assessors are saying different things to the NAPIT/ Stroma assessors - but thats nothing new

I had my assessment last week and our assessor told me they definitely don’t work on ring mains, so it’s 4mm from now on

I had my assessment last week and our assessor told me they definitely don’t work on ring mains, so it’s 4mm from now on

Or.. 20A 2.5mm radial maybe...?

e.g. upstairs sockets on an average domestic property generally require a minimal load capacity and 32A 7kWatt+ is probably overkill?

Whereas a 20A, 4.5kWatt+ is more than enough.. unless they start plugging in loads of 3bar 3kW electric fires!!!

For most domestic circuits 32A is realistically only needed in Kitchens/Utilities

Latest posts