An End To The Fit Dor Solar Pv Soon?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and some more news, basically the end of solar farms. 25acres equates to about 5Mwatt, not exactly small in my opinion. It would seem the subsidies to these only equate to £3 per household. One over point about the subsidies, they are still cheaper than building power stations of any type, all of which goes on your leccy bills. Personally I'm not too upset by this announcement, as the real idea behind the original scheme was micro-generation on existing buildings, for ordinary people, not opportunities for large investors, but the rapid build time, a 25 acre site is about 3 months work, has certainly helped plug the hole in generation capacity.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-33619017

So does that mean the domestic small scale FIT will remain for new installs for some time?

There seems to be no clarity on that one.

I'm held up on my new build as I don't have an EPC until the house is built and despite several tries I have failed to get anyone to produce an exemption letter.

If the FIT system for domestic installs is going to end next April, then I might as well install a system and get the lower rate non EPC FIT as that would be better than nothing at all.

Don't know Dave, the current minister is on record as favouring small scale PV ie houses and industrial units, however that doesn't mean it won't get attacked. I will be gutted if they do, as this will basically destroy 4 years hard work for me, and seriously compromise the success of my business.

Sometimes you can pre-register a system, we do this for schools and charitable outfits, but I've never tried doing this for a new build house.

Hot off the press, any form of Pre-accreditation is about to be removed, so you're stuffed PD, unless you go for the insulated shed with panels attached as discussed previously....

So I am still seeking clarification.

Will FIT's end next April or not, or are we still waiting?

If that is the case then it seems I have two choices, install a system now and get the lower "non EPC" rate (better than nothing?)  or wait and just install the cheapest (second hand?) kit I can knowing it will only reduce my consumption not receive any payment.

Rock and hard place.

Still don't know Dave, only DECC can answer that. I doubt they will drop the domestic tariffs, it's the solar farms that are taking too much money and upsetting tory voters in the countryside. 1, 5 Meg solar farm is equivalent to about 1200 houses, so it takes a lot more effort to install on houses. I suspect FiT rates will be cut faster though?