Another main bonding question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

norv

Reaction score
Working on an extension at the mo. Plumbers have extended the main water feed to under the sink in the extension in plastic. It then returns in plastic & connects to the original copper pipe in the soil pipe boxing in. Where/How/Do I have to bond this ? Gas bonding is already done.

Working on an extension at the mo. Plumbers have extended the main water feed to under the sink in the extension in plastic. It then returns in plastic & connects to the original copper pipe in the soil pipe boxing in. Where/How/Do I have to bond this ? Gas bonding is already done.
Phtt! stuff that for a game of soldiers!!! :eek: ] :) ]:) ] :)

not more ruddy bonding questions??? :^O :^O:^O

Put sensible head back on straight...

Just to clarify..

Are we saying the rising main water supply is now actually all plastic.?

coming to a new inlet position in the property...?

And the original copper pipework, no longer has any direct contact with the general mass of earth..?

Or are there two inlet rising mains... ?:|

e.g. we have got two in our house following extension work.

One in kitchen & one in downstairs loo!!

BTW...

got to go out in a bit...

So if no following reply..

I ain't ignoring you! :^O :x

I hate bonding questions aswell

There is still only 1 rising main water supply which has been extended & is all plastic to the new stop tap under the sink in the ext & plastic back to the original copper pipe. So.... The original copper pipework has no direct contact with the mass of earth (only in plastic) so main water bonding can be left out. Correct ?

Hello norv,

This is the problem with plumbers these days using plastic pipe for speed and probably cost as well. As far as I can see if the rest of the installation is metal pipes it will still need bonding. If you have access where the plastic changes to copper take your 10mm to here if not what I would do is take a 10mm to the rising main in the airing cupboard if possible and cross bond all pipes in 10 mm or alternatively 10 mm to the rising main in the airing cupboard and then cross bond the other pipes in 4 mm. It is still a metal pipe installation and needs to be earthed. You would then need to wright a departure on your certificate but you have done the best with what has been provided.

batty

I hate bonding questions aswellThere is still only 1 rising main water supply which has been extended & is all plastic to the new stop tap under the sink in the ext & plastic back to the original copper pipe. So.... The original copper pipework has no direct contact with the mass of earth (only in plastic) so main water bonding can be left out. Correct ?
Hi Norv:)

Unfortunatly... NO....

if theres is metal pipe installation within the premises,

then it still needs bonding...

You need to ref On Site Guide. Page 25, point 4.3

Main Equipotential Bonding - Plastic Services..There is no requirement to main bond an incoming service where both the incoming service and the pipework within the installation are both of plastic. Where there is a plastic incoming service and a metal installation within the premises, main bonding must be carried out, the bonding being applied on the customers side of any meter, main stop cock or insulating insert.
I know this is technically the O-S-G re 16th reg's..

But 17th not yet out! :(

and I don't think this point has changed in 17th.

The other bits I was askin about were just cuz you can get anomalies where..

More than one rising main exists.. In which case I would bond both.

or

A part of the installation pipework disappears under ground again and reappear at another part of the building..

Again this would be bonded in two places origin & where re-appears!

Cant find a reg for the above but NICEIC earth & bonding Snags & Solutions book does mention it on snag 17! "reemerging metallic pipework".

Hope this helps m8.

:) ;)

Hello norv,This is the problem with plumbers these days using plastic pipe for speed and probably cost as well. As far as I can see if the rest of the installation is metal pipes it will still need bonding. If you have access where the plastic changes to copper take your 10mm to here if not what I would do is take a 10mm to the rising main in the airing cupboard if possible and cross bond all pipes in 10 mm or alternatively 10 mm to the rising main in the airing cupboard and then cross bond the other pipes in 4 mm. It is still a metal pipe installation and needs to be earthed. You would then need to wright a departure on your certificate but you have done the best with what has been provided.

batty
Just to add..

I would concur with Batty's points as well! :D :) :)

I think it "hits the nail on the head" as they say.

Cheers for that. Just really wanted to get some other opinions on this. I bet, not everyone would do it the same way.

I ran a 10mm to the airing cupboard, new boiler going in so it wasnt so bad after all. ;)

Hi Norv:)Unfortunatly... NO....

if theres is metal pipe installation within the premises,

then it still needs bonding...

You need to ref On Site Guide. Page 25, point 4.3

I know this is technically the O-S-G re 16th reg's..

But 17th not yet out! :(

and I don't think this point has changed in 17th.

The other bits I was askin about were just cuz you can get anomalies where..

More than one rising main exists.. In which case I would bond both.

or

A part of the installation pipework disappears under ground again and reappear at another part of the building..

Again this would be bonded in two places origin & where re-appears!

Cant find a reg for the above but NICEIC earth & bonding Snags & Solutions book does mention it on snag 17! "reemerging metallic pipework".

Hope this helps m8.

:) ;)
NO NO NO NO,

EXACTLY AS YOU SAID,

a guide,

throw itta****

bond nothing, we are in the 17th now and all you are required to do is provide a 30mA protection to the zone, just like outside the zone before, cos the zone dont exist anymore,!

prove it in a court of law, (and its all in the BS7671) and you have no case to answer.

you dont have to bond absolutely anything at all,!!!

SHOCKING IMHO,

NO NO NO NO,EXACTLY AS YOU SAID,

a guide,

throw itta****

bond nothing, we are in the 17th now and all you are required to do is provide a 30mA protection to the zone, just like outside the zone before, cos the zone dont exist anymore,!

prove it in a court of law, (and its all in the BS7671) and you have no case to answer.

you dont have to bond absolutely anything at all,!!!

SHOCKING IMHO,
eh up! Step's! :eek:

Postin at nearly half one in the morning....

and I suspect only skip reading the ole' post's... :p :p

Norv was on about "MAIN PROTECTIVE EQIPOTENTIAL BONDING";)

not supplementary bonding! :|

Which is most certainly required..

Otherwise, they shall refer to '411.3.1.2' in the ole' court of law when the book is chucked at one for not following good practise! :) :^O :^O:^O

eh up! Step's! :eek: Postin at nearly half one in the morning....

and I suspect only skip reading the ole' post's... :p :p

Norv was on about "MAIN PROTECTIVE EQIPOTENTIAL BONDING";)

not supplementary bonding! :|

Which is most certainly required..

Otherwise, they shall refer to '411.3.1.2' in the ole' court of law when the book is chucked at one for not following good practise! :) :^O :^O:^O
um, ah, well,

still dont think its required tbh.

not if you provide 30mA protection to all,

but no doubt your right and im skip reading and talking sh1t3 again, got a pile of stuff on this week with 5 sparks seemily oblivious to the regs being different since last monday, and niceic inspection tomoz!!!!!

an the dreaded 17th coming up soon and I HATE exams!!!! :( :( :_| :_| :( :(