Another one for the Black Museum!

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

Mr Sworld

Electrical Technician
Joined
Mar 21, 2008
Messages
1,152
Reaction score
0
Look what I found today!

Burn, baby, burn!

I think a cleaner plugged in a hoover into an extension lead that already had 10A of gear on it.

The rcd had tripped so they must of gone back to find out what happened and pulled the plug out (almost!). There is no sign of the extension lead!

 

Theorysparky

Domestic Electrician
Joined
Feb 18, 2008
Messages
4,233
Reaction score
0
Nice one

The thing that grips my s**t is that it could have caused a house fire.

reported in the media as an electrical fault

Part P ????? no covered

Guys...remember the all important safe zones,, regs etc

the extension leads are exempt !!!

 
Joined
Mar 7, 2008
Messages
9,994
Reaction score
0
Location
In the office again.
Have you been at the daughter`s house? That looks suspiciously like the socket that matches my plug............(oooh er!)

MRS KME won`t be happy - she doesn`t even know your first name yet!

Seriously - another bad one :( Seem to be seeing more & more of this type of thing. Don`t people have common sense anymore, or is there another factor?

 
Joined
May 7, 2008
Messages
11,414
Reaction score
425
Location
Sunny Plymouth
When I was @ school a caretaker melted a 50m extension lead running some kind of warm water floor washer fully wound!
This nearly happened on site the other day when young lad was running a wallpaper stripper on coiled up extension - I was surprised how hot it was, and he had only been going 20 mins.

 

Theorysparky

Domestic Electrician
Joined
Feb 18, 2008
Messages
4,233
Reaction score
0
Have you been at the daughter`s house? That looks suspiciously like the socket that matches my plug............(oooh er!)MRS KME won`t be happy - she doesn`t even know your first name yet!

Seriously - another bad one :( Seem to be seeing more & more of this type of thing. Don`t people have common sense anymore, or is there another factor?
Old houses not enough sockets is the main culprit

old guy i know replaces kitchens but doesnt bother getting more sockets put in....normally there is only one double above the work top :_|

 

Mr Sworld

Electrical Technician
Joined
Mar 21, 2008
Messages
1,152
Reaction score
0
This is from work! Not a house.

I think a agency cleaner plugged into a socket that was supplying a catering point. Problem is whoever it was didn't unplug other items of equipment.

Also I'm a little peeved that they didn't report it! They made a mistake but it's not going to get you sacked. It's much more dangerous to of left it than condition! Thank god for RCD's!

 
Joined
Jan 1, 2009
Messages
29,651
Reaction score
606
Location
S. Tyneside
reminds me of something i found a while back. rather than fit a plug to the cable... they stripped the end of the cable so there was about 25mm of copper, put over pins of socket doubler, then plugged in (its a bodge, remember. so no earth connected!)

after i removed the socket doubler, the flex was still jammed in socket

and the best part... 3 sockets in the same room had the same damage... it burned out at one.... so they went to another..... then another....

IIRC, this extension fed a F/F and a W/M in utility room

Image018.jpg


Image020.jpg


 
Top