Another "speed Of Light" Question.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Following on from m4tty's speed of electicity question.

This one has bugged me for years.  It's all about astronomy and the big bang.

Bear with me and I'll take my thought process in stages.

The big bang theory says everything originated from one point in space, then it all went  bad day explode

Okay so far.

At that point in time, all the stars , planets etc (not that they had formed yet) started moving apart.

Fast forward to the present day. The universe is still expanding from that single point.

Astronomers can now look at very distant stars. So distant that the light has taken many thousands or millions of years to get here.

Okay so far.

But then there's the concept of the "observable universe"  Beyond that, the light would have taken so long to get here, that it would have pre dated the big bang so would not have existed.

My brain is starting to ache.

So we appear to have stars so far away that the the light hasn't got here yet. (stars outside the observable universe)

My problem with comprehending this, is that seems to imply the stars in question, must be moving apart faster than the speed of light for that to be the case. but nothing travels faster than the speed of light.

Explain.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't even begin to answer your question but it does make me reminisce about the good old days when electricians went to pubs and talked about women, the price of beer and the football.

Presumably we are moving the opposite direction to some of the universe so we are moving apart at speed of light X 2 .  With everything being relative some of it is coming with us at the same speed so appears to be standing still .

The stuff that the new array (biggest in the world) of radio telescopes will be looking at is so far away , the images that reach us are from the past .  The stars may not even be there anymore .  So we are looking back in time .

Simples ! :innocent   :C

Regards

Albert Diekstien 

Edit :   Just think ....we could be the only living beings in the whole universe .   And we blew it !! :facepalm:

Dig up all the trees and put them in a tree museum

Charge the people a dollar & a half just to see 'em

Dave, have you not seen the theory of 'Inflation' that is being bandied about as the latest attempt to patch up the holes in the current theory of life, the universe and everything?

It basically says that for a minute fraction of a second after the Big Bang, ther was a collosal expansion of all thematter in the universe that far exceeded the speed of expansion that we think is happening today. Im not too good at explaining all that zarjaz either, have a look here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflation_(cosmology)

Okay then......

they go out searching for life on other planets BUT they are searching for life by our own definition of life.

so there may well be life out there BUT if it is a gas we have never heard of then we aint going to find it.

If it is a giant rock monster that eats rock and shites rock   then all we will see is rock!

given the size of the Universe , IF we are the only ones here THEN we are making a fricking poor job of it

just drinking

It is utterly inconceivable tio think that of all the squillions of planets out there, the earth is the only one to have been infected by life.

theres definately some form of life out there, but due to the incredible distances involved, we aint never gonna see it

And .................   if the original (and best) Star Trek  " Boldly went where no one had been before "   .......how come there was always someone there ?

And ...what was here before the Big Bang ?  

It is utterly inconceivable tio think that of all the squillions of planets out there, the earth is the only one to have been infected by life.

theres definately some form of life out there, but due to the incredible distances involved, we aint never gonna see it
Yeah .. but the reverse could be also be true ...there may be just a big nothing  from here to eternity  .

And another thing .... how can it be infinite ? Yet ut must be .   It cannot end because at the end of the universe , behind the McDonald's there must be scrap bins and then ...and then ... nothing ..stretching to eternity   ....  but then what can this be ???  .... a spacecapsule with a dead body inside , it has a name ....  Major Tom...where did that come from ??

My take on that is yes, almost certainly there has been and will be life on other planets.

But not necessarily now.

Given the immense life of this planet, and the relatively short time it has supported life, other planets may yet to reach have reached that stage and be capable of life, while others probably have done than, and then passed the point of supporting life and died.

Have you been snorting Andrews Liver Salts again Deke?
Afraid so . 

I fell into a drug induced sleep and dreamed of the planet Steptoe , hanging in stella space , protected from invasion by a belt of whirling/ spinning  Earth rods , and everyone speaks in Steptoe dialect .  Then I make it through the protetctive shield of earth rods and rescue Aggie from his evil clutches.

Then I awake and look around me

at four grey walls that surround me .....  

Jeez thats strong stuff that Andrews  !!!    I cut it with some Daz , but I think that whiskey and Domestos chaser upset me a bit .

Blimey anyone remember the 60,s   no nor me ,  we were suposed to be going to San Francisco , to wear some flowers in our hair  but the kerb became 6 ft tall and you couldn't cross the road .    I tried to play some folk songs but they kept bending the notes to distortion and when morning came you couldn't face the day ............

Eh !!... what!! ... nodded off for a second then ..I'm back now ...where were we ?    Ah the planet Steptoe ..that makes sense .

Afraid so . 

I fell into a drug induced sleep and dreamed of the planet Steptoe , hanging in stella space , protected from invasion by a belt of whirling/ spinning  Earth rods , and everyone speaks in Steptoe dialect .  Then I make it through the protetctive shield of earth rods and rescue Aggie from his evil clutches.

Then I awake and look around me

at four grey walls that surround me .....  

Jeez thats strong stuff that Andrews  !!!    I cut it with some Daz , but I think that whiskey Whisky and Domestos chaser upset me a bit .
Corrected.  You really should try the proper stuff, preferably a single malt.

Okay then......

they go out searching for life on other planets BUT they are searching for life by our own definition of life.

so there may well be life out there BUT if it is a gas we have never heard of then we aint going to find it.

If it is a giant rock monster that eats rock and shites rock   then all we will see is rock!

given the size of the Universe , IF we are the only ones here THEN we are making a fricking poor job of it

just drinking
this is my opinion too,

why do we think life only exists in the way we see it?

Corrected.  You really should try the proper stuff, preferably a single malt.
dave,!

dont start me, your not even a proper scots and you are trying it on!!!!!!!

WhiskEy is an Irish spirit,

scots whisky is simply a poor copy,  ;)

Not forgetting all the parallel universe's through the black holes 

Just to rain on your parade, the big bang theory could be wrong  :C   

The "BIg Bang" theory speaks of the creation of "space-time"

In other words, space and time began to be created from the

moment of that silent explosion.

Admin has made a point that few would discuss openly years

ago, that black holes are the gateways to other universes.

What perpetually surprises me is that the universe is expanding

as evidenced by the "red shift" in the spectra that have been

analysed from stars and galaxies.

Why then, are the stars not getting dimmer with the passage of

time?

I think you just said it , Techie , they don't get dimmer because we're seeing the light that left them many light years ago .   Those stars may not be there any longer  but the light is still travelling towards us.  

Just ...cosmosing

And .................   if the original (and best) Star Trek  " Boldly went where no one had been before "   .......how come there was always someone there ?

And ...what was here before the Big Bang ?  

Yeah .. but the reverse could be also be true ...there may be just a big nothing  from here to eternity  .

And another thing .... how can it be infinite ? Yet ut must be .   It cannot end because at the end of the universe , behind the McDonald's there must be scrap bins and then ...and then ... nothing ..stretching to eternity   ....  but then what can this be ???  .... a spacecapsule with a dead body inside , it has a name ....  Major Tom...where did that come from ??
The thought of an infinitive universe is too big to fit in my brain. So for my own convenience I consider the universe to be like a big, black cloud with LED lights inside it (to me that's proof that if God exists then she must be an electrician), and at the end of it there's a large brick wall with two signs on it. One says "End of the Universe", the other one says "No Ball Games".