Another telephone scam

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robojin

Reaction score
Keep getting silent calls, ring back gets 023456.....

Any how today I get connected, and as is my humour I answer in my best Indian call centre accent etc

Me: Hello

Caller: Is that Mr &&&&&

Me: who is it that is calling me (you get the picture)

Caller: This is the Council Tax Dept

Me: Which council ?

Caller: The council !!

Me: Yes which council?

Caller: You asked me that already!, don't you know who you pay your tax too?

Me: In deed I do!, so which council are you?

Well Wet Fish they put the phone down on me, just as I was getting started too!!! :slap

And surprise, surprise call back 023456789

The scam is the usual promise of a refund, but do need your bank details, as if!!!!

havent had that one yet. but no doubt will soon

i have a program on my phone to blacklist numbers... someone phones selling something/scam, their number gets added to the list. they try and phone back, they dont get through.

There's another one out there, people ringing to tell me that Windows on my pc is sending out error messages. They can fix it for you if you download such an such from their web site (a virus). When I explained that I had Ubuntu on my pc, not Windows and asked how they got my details the line suddenly went dead!!!

If I am in the right mood I will 'bait them' for a while.. Something along the lines of...taking them through security, asking them therir mothers maiden name, asking them my mothers maiden name...you get the drift. after a few minutes of this I then tell them that due to the Data Protection act I cannot talk to them. Oh how the winter nights just fly-by... :coat

I try and say things they don't expect

I had one last year and let him say his opening line (in best Indian / English).

I then said " I have not got any clothes on, have you?"

He laughed and hung up.

I had that 023456789 number call me, trying to get me to do a personal injury claim for a minor car claim. I also had 00000000 call me. I have changed tactic's and now answer all these calls giving wrong details and bulls*it, but only a bit so it wastes there time. 48 min is my record so far.

48 mins?! you have way too much spare time

i got a call a few month from someone saying that my computer had a virus and i needed to go onto their site to fix it. so decided to play with them. in the end, they hung up on me

had one of those microsoft calls once

that made for an interesting day.

led them on for about 20 minutes and eventually they got wise, swore and left quickly.