Antibody test..

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes. only way to find out just how widespread it really is, and to find out how many have been infected but unaware of it

I'd even pay myself if it was a reasonable cost.

The misses had one recently - she's clear. Interestingly 2 of her colleagues who flat share the tests showed 1 had had  it, but the other hadn't

I'd have the test, quite curious to know if I've had it unnoticed. Antibody testing is a very valuable tool and the only reliable way of knowing just how infectious it really is and how bad the mortality rate is.

I would love the test. If I am ever offered it I will say yes.

I read somewhere else that the numbers testing positive is lower than earlier testing suggested.  To my mind, anyone that has had the antibody test and been positive, should have the test again at periodic intervals.  This would answer the question, does immunity last?

The problem is that antibody testing is likely to give a pessimistic view of the situation, there are, I beleive likely to be people who would test negative for antibodies that have had it and are immune as it seems they might fade to undetctable levels quickly, but the memory of how to produce them is retained, there is a lot starting to come out about T cell immunity now.

So yes I'd have the test, but I think looking at the numbers of positives across the country as a whole will give a misleading picture, rather like this R rate, yes, it probably was an average of 3, but an average isn't all that useful, it could have been 0.6 in most offices, 0.8 in supermarkets, 3.2 on the tube and 28 in nightclubs for instance, the threashold for herd immunity is going to be therefore similarly spit, you don't need 60% across the whole country, you need a very high number of those likely to frequent nightclubs, and much lower in the elderly populations who only go to the shop and the post office, its probably not massivly far away. Of course there will be outbreaks when it is 'seeded' into environments where it can easily spread but these seem to rely on quite specific circumstances, we have seen that in meat packing factories and cramped textile manufacturers (which had a more ethnically subseptable population)

Last edited by a moderator:
Truth is that nobody in the world knows yet how long antibodies will last for in the average human ................. so you could have had Covid 19 earlier this year, not known it and now show as "clear"

The truth is that in the majority of cases the really serious issues related to Covid are also dependent upon other underlying health issues..

As was stated right back at the start, in 90% of cases of infection it will just be a non-serious illness that will knock you back for a couple of weeks..  

More and more details are gradually being released about general body weight, diet, exercise etc..

And these fundamental problems with all of their other related health problems were already starting to clog the NHS well before Covid came to our door..

Covid has just spring boarded the general poor health of the UK population to the top of the pile..

We noticed it years ago...

sitting on the beach and the number of young children you see who were already overweight and clearly destined to be in poor health in later life..

Round by us as soon as McDonalds re-opened their drive-thru's the queues were massive!!

Hoards of families stuffing processed fast junk-food down their mouths...

and over 10 years ago when my wife was helping with the local school uniform shop..

the number of 11 & 12 year old kids needing adult sized blazers was astounding!!

When I was young at school the fat kid in the classroom was a minority..

Not anymore..

Is it any wonder that a virus that can effect respiratory issue has a significant impact upon those with poor diet, weight, health?

As for having a jab for an antibody test....

If its free its got to be a no-brainer

:B

I've had it. 

An it showed I have antibodies for it. 

Wasn't unexpected with the amount I travel for work. 

I've not had any symptoms. 

Nothing wrong with needles. Far less intrusive than donating blood. 

Last edited by a moderator: