Any good brand for long lasting LED light bulbs out there?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of all the LED lamps I have fitted in my new house , Phillips ones have been the worst, I think I fitted 5 in today and only 1 is still working.  VERY disappointed for such a well known make.  And it pains me to say all the cheap LAP ones are still working fine.

I have quite a lot of GU10 led's bought from Screwfix; They are in packs of five; can't recall brand. Very few fails over several years now.

I also have some Philips "sealed" fittings (which the wholesaler assured  my I could buy replacement modules for). These have been OK for about six years now.

i found this very interesting

LED lights from Philips. You can’t buy them unless you live in Dubai. Apparently inspired by the ruler of Dubai, Sheikh Mohammad Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, who wanted more efficient and longer-lasting bulbs. The secret? A normal LED bulb uses an LED “filament” at 1 watt each. The Dubai bulbs run at about a fourth of that which means they need more LEDs to get the same amount of light, but they should last longer and operate more efficiently

i found this very interesting

LED lights from Philips. You can’t buy them unless you live in Dubai. Apparently inspired by the ruler of Dubai, Sheikh Mohammad Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, who wanted more efficient and longer-lasting bulbs. The secret? A normal LED bulb uses an LED “filament” at 1 watt each. The Dubai bulbs run at about a fourth of that which means they need more LEDs to get the same amount of light, but they should last longer and operate more efficiently

seen that a while back, iir big clive made a video about them. but basically, that was it, run them at a lower power and everything works better

seen that a while back, iir big clive made a video about them. but basically, that was it, run them at a lower power and everything works better

there was some gadget or other many years ago that was designed to reduce the voltage to filament lamps to 220V or somthing like that. It was claimed the lamps would last 10 years or more with that gadget. 

My basic rule is whatever you preference of brand...

Make sure that are not built in lamps and that you purchase them from a supplier that has an easy returns policy for faulty goods..

So if they do fail too soon, you can take them back for replacement or refund..   

If your customer is giving you an ear bending..

and you can't recoup some of the cost of fixing the faulty lights that you supplied and fitted...

you can end up being out of pocket too often.

Guinness     

Even without going to the extremes of those lamps, it should be possible to design an LED fitting that has a very long life, just don't run everything to its absolute limit and don't enginner component count down to the bare minimum, and don't use the cheapest components available. But thats not the way things are done today, its all about the highest output for the lowest cost and who cares if it only lasts a few years.

I swear we change LED floods almost as often as we did sodium lamps in the fittings that the LEDs replaced, I'm not sure the lower running watts is worth it from a green perspective at the cost of the mountains of LED fittings on the scrapheap!

I'm not sure the lower running watts is worth it from a green perspective at the cost of the mountains of LED fittings on the scrapheap!

This is the huge hidden "Elephant In The Room" that never seems to be fully taken into account when calculating the overall carbon footprint, energy consumption, purchase costs and impact of LED lighting..

I don't doubt that LED lighting is better.. 

BUT the percentage improvement is nowhere near as high as some publicity would suggest...

Guinness  

BUT the percentage improvement is nowhere near as high as some publicity would suggest...

And nowhere is this more true than with the current heat pumps debate, headline COP ratings are not applicable at the conditions when demand for heat is highest, where is all the electricty to run them comming from (From memory generation from gas is about 40% efficent, so if the COP drops much below 2.25x then you'd be better off just burning the gas for heat as modern boilers are pretty efficient) then there are the gases covered under the montreal protocol that will eventually make it to the atmosphere.

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled."

especially compared to lights that are already very efficient, like sodium and metal halides. there isnt a massive difference in energy consumption compared to halogen & tungsten lamps
you have to factor the ballasts into the energy consumption, but, the main reason for changing these to LED is suppossedly much longer life, so less maintenance costs. Trying to find reliable LED floods seems like finding hen's teeth. The only ones I've fitted that have been very reliable are very expensive Philips units, fitted about 7 years ago and still working fine  to illuminate this church. 

I've also fitted some 'corn on the cobs' from Amazon in lamp posts for a block of flats roughly 6/7 years ago. Some unknown Chinese make, and they have been fine. It's all a bit random!

image.png